2000 Honda HR-V Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2000 Honda HR-V 1.6 vtec from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.6 vtec Manual
Previous carNissan Sunny

Summary:

Rust apart, this is an excellent car to own and drive

At one year old, approximately 19,000 miles, we noticed that there was rust appearing at the seams on the inside of the doors (three out of four doors). On closer inspection we also found rust appearing on the tail-gate hinges. In the intervening year we have spoken with three different dealers who have all said that this should not happen on a car this age. However, we have not been able to engage Honda UK as yet in any meaningful decision. The current state is that we have a report from a Honda Approved Body shop that they are reluctant to carry out warranty repairs on the car, as they could not guarantee the work under the current Honda terms. At the same time Honda UK are not currently even interested in viewing their car.

General Comments:

We believe that this is a one off, but are exasperated at Honda's inability to deal with what we reasonably expect is a rare occurrence for them. I guess that their general quality is so good they don't know what to do when something in their manufacturing process goes wrong.

Review Date: 4th September, 2002

19th Aug 2005, 04:36

Re Dodgy Keys

I had a similar problem with a Fiat Bravo. Apparently, some of those anti-theft alarms at shop exits can confuse the key-fob's electronics. This prevents the key sending the 'release' code to start the engine. From what I was told, the car's electronics resets the code after about 15mins, by which time the key has reset, too.

2000 Honda HR-V 1.6 from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carCitroen ZX

Summary:

Practical, good looking and fuel efficient

Nothing as yet!

General Comments:

A really impressive vehicle from a manufacturer of quality cars.

The cabin has a light and airy feel.

The seats are reasonably comfortable and the driving position is good.

Visibility is excellent.

The constant velocity type transmission is amazing.

Off-road performance is adequate enough to cope with a bit of 'bush bashing' and I haven't managed to bog the car in the sand dunes yet!

The main advantage with the HR-V is that you get great fuel economy and a 4 wheel drive system that only comes into play when it is required.

Impressive!

Review Date: 13th April, 2001

2000 Honda HR-V 4WD VTEC 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.6 petrol Manual
Previous carAlfa Romeo GTV

Summary:

So near, but a big disappointment

Nothing.

General Comments:

A disappointing combination of unimpressive performance and poor economy are at odds with Honda's advertising. Dual-pump 4WD is pointless and the body is smaller than a normal hatch, whilst ground clearance is also poor. On the plus side the build is fantastic.... would just make it with another 20bhp!

Review Date: 8th July, 2000

24th Jul 2002, 04:39

I just read that your previous car was an Alfa sports. It's expected to feel a bit disappointed with the performance if your down grading a bit. As a business user I have taken the HR-V to it's limits. 90,000 miles in 2 years. Fantastic during winter moments. The only worrying bug I don't like is the thin metal body work which is prone to chipping and rust.

7th Aug 2002, 14:44

We have purchased a 2year old Honda after owning a Renault Scenic for 5 years. I have to say that I was apprehensive, but one week on I would never look back. Our teenage daughter and her friends love the funky style and we love the comfort in the drive. I do have to agree with the rust comments though, ours has a few spots on the door edges which we will be treating shortly. What a small price to pay for so much pleasure though.

Lesley.