2003 Honda Pilot Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2003 Honda Pilot EX-L /DVD 3.5 from North America

Model year2003
Year of manufacture2003
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

Solid buy sound financial move

Weather stripping in rear is falling out. Leather looks worn already. Passenger inside door handle pops off.

General Comments:

Hardware issues really. It's a Honda afterall. Super quiet engine with a smooth seamless transmission and good sound system for a stock unit. DVD was the best thing ever to keep kids quiet on long trips. Who needs warm milk.

I haven't driven it that much, but everytime I hop in I'm reminded why Hondas are in such demand and why Pilot's retain so much of their value. It is not the best looking SUV by far, but this vehicle is the epitome of beauty only being skin deep. Go get one with the DVD player. The NAV system is a toy because for me I don't need a e-map going back and forth to work.

Review Date: 9th September, 2005

2003 Honda Pilot EZ w/ Leather and Navigation S V6 Gasoline (240hp) from North America

Model year2003
Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission V6 Gasoline (240hp) Automatic
Previous carLexus RX300

Summary:

The Pilot is a very big, solid SUV for the soccer mom who want to drive an SUV, not a minivan

The CD player stopped playing CDs at before the original (36,000 mile) warranty expired. The dealer was very helpful; they promptly replaced the player under warranty.

General Comments:

Lots of room inside, especially in the cargo area (90 cub. feet with both back seats down, 49 cub. Feet with the 3rd row down.) About 4’ (!) between the wheel wells.

Drives more like a car than the big SUV that it is. The chassis is based on the Odyssey minivan, not on a pickup truck chassis.

Extremely comfortable seats for long trips (we have leather.)

Lots of storage room in the center console.

Towing is a bit of a disappointment for a 240hp SUV of this size. Trailer weight is 3,500 lbs max (4,500 for boat trailers.) This is because the engine is not a truck engine (it too was borrowed from the Odyssey minivan) and therefore lacks the low-end torque needed for heavier towing. You need to fork over $400+ for transmission and power steering fluid coolers (plus the cost of the hitch) just to pull a trailer (Honda states the coolers are needed for any trailer, regardless of weight.) At the very least, the coolers should have come as standard equipment! Albeit, this is my only major complaint about the Pilot.

Review Date: 19th July, 2005

2003 Honda Pilot EX 3.0L from North America

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 3.0L Automatic
Previous carVolvo 850

Summary:

Outstanding reliability and value

Nothing other than factory recalls for the timing belt.

General Comments:

Excellent performance.

Good gas mileage.

Very versatile, holds a lot of cargo or up to 5 adults and 3 kids.

Outstanding reliability.

Review Date: 31st December, 2003

3rd Feb 2004, 08:01

I just put a deposit down on a 2004 Pilot hope it lives up to my experience with my GMC trucks only without any of the major mechanical fixes.

7th Mar 2004, 22:35

All is not perfect with my 2003 Honda Pilot (12,500 miles). I have had trouble with it starting whenever conditions drop below freezing. It seems to be an electronic problem that the dealership can't figure out. They put a new battery in it at a few hundred miles and I had trouble starting it to leave the dealer's lot. I am now getting 12.5 MPG in city driving, which concerns me. It is well below the advertised and as bad as my Ford Expedition V8. The plastic material around the console scratches very easily. I'm fussy and a bit anal about my stuff, but even I am having difficulty protecting it. Finally, there is an aggravating rattle in the dash that also hasn't been fixed.

9th Jun 2004, 11:09

I also just bought a 2004 Honda Pilot, so far I love it, great on gas (compared to my Dodge Durango) and if its like my other Honda's, then I will have many years of problem free driving.

29th Nov 2004, 12:42

I traded a '99 Durango for a 2004 (New) Pilot. All is as advertised thus far (3800 miles) Wife likes the ride better than the Dodge. Gas mileage is as advertised.

10th Mar 2005, 17:31

I own a 2004 Honda Pilot, EX. The car is a pleasure to drive. The V6 provides plenty of power, the interior noise is quiet, and the transmissions shifts smoothly. The four wheel drive is excellent in the snow. Very reliable. I have had a recall for the transmission and my dealer performed quickly and without any charges. My wife and I are very satisfied with this SUV.