2017 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0L from North America

Summary:

Good car - Bad depreciation!

Nothing...

General Comments:

Only beware of dramatic drop in price - Depreciation - Even Hyundai doesn’t want your car if you decide to change cars!

They are as expensive as Honda/Toyota... only when they’re new. Once you drive it off the lot, it will depreciate like no other car & good luck trading it in!

I learned the hard way that buying these cars means the most significant depreciation on the market as opposed to Honda/Toyota (that’s who they compete against the most!)...

My 2 cents... Otherwise I liked the car.

Review Date: 17th December, 2017

25th Apr 2018, 07:36

I agree, it is a great car. I have a loaded Limited... I lease mine and was gonna trade it in early, and the sales manager told me that they didn't want the car because it had depreciated so much; if I do trade in, they would just give it back to Hyundai. I was told the reason is because they sell more SUVs now. Also the market is flooded with Elantras from the past 7 years. So to get the most value, I decided not to trade in and I have decided to keep it until the lease is up and give it back. I do like the new Kona though.

20th May 2018, 11:58

I have to disagree on the pricing thing. I bought an Elantra Sport for $19,495 brand new and it is essentially the same performance as a Civic Si. Sticker was almost $23K on mine with heated leather seats and sunroof standard. You can't even get the leather seats on a Civic Si, and the Civic is more expensive at the base price. It starts at over $24K.

I do agree on the depreciation, but seeing as I got mine for under $20K I'm already ahead of the game there. I plan on keeping it for a long time too, so I don't care too much. I also don't drive too much so it'll be a low mile car in even ten years, and it'll still be worth something. I tend to keep my cars up exceptionally well, which also makes a difference after 10 years as it will be an outstanding example at that point.