2008 Hyundai Getz 1.4 petrol from Croatia

Summary:

Reliable but uncomfortable

Air-conditioning (I suspect), there are funny noises, and the anti-fog function does not operate as before.

General Comments:

The first word that comes to my mind is “uncomfortable”.

I’ll try to explain:

1) The suspension of the car is tuned to exaggerate small bumps and fissures on the road, which translates very uncomfortably to the passengers. And a funny thing is that bigger bumps are more or less OK given the small car the Getz is. The chassis leans too much when cornering, which I can accept, because after all the car is tall and narrow. The cure for that could be to stiffen the suspension, which will make comfort even worse. I tried everything except the coilovers. Sporty suspension helps with cornering, and if it is quality one, does not take too much of the already very bad comfort for the passengers.

2) Noise in the cabin. There are two things to mention. One is bad noise insulation. I can imagine that car has barely any noise dampening installed. This occurred to me while waiting at a stoplight. I had the feeling I left the door opened because I could hear very well the noise and rumbling of other cars' engines around me. Very disappointing. The other issue is various noises in the cabin induced by vibrating plastic parts. I tried to fix the ones that I can reach without taking the trims apart. But the ones under the dashboard and behind the door trims remained. I could not fix the back door to be silent. Tried with adjusting the rubber parts, adjusting the lock of the door, and insulation tape on suspected parts – nothing helped. All very frustrating, it leaves you with the feeling that car will fall apart.

3) Adjusting the temperature in the cabin – lack of insulation affects the heat in the cabin during the summer. The air-conditioning just does not have the power enough to make things cosy for the passengers. It is always too hot. And after about two years of owning the car, I could not get rid of the foggy windows. At first the air—con solved the problem easily, but after that… nothing. It is very dangerous to drive, especially in the winter, because there is no way to clear the windows.

This is unacceptable by today’s standards and leaves you with the impression that someone has been very cheap in the production chain.

On the good side, the Getz did not suffer from any significant mechanical failure so far and is safe to drive (with improved suspension, and if the fog issue can somehow be solved). The engine is thirsty but reliable. I should mention that the car is regularly serviced in an authorised dealer repair shop to manufacturer's standards, and is maintained in best order I can provide. I have had the Getz for eight years now and from day one.

Review Date: 13th January, 2017

2008 Hyundai Getz GVS 1.1 from India

Summary:

VERY GOOD. Until now :-)

Well.. I brought the Getz 1.1 GVS on 24th December 2008... But now after two years, I have the cooling warning light (blue) that comes on when I start my car, and then goes off after around 2 minutes when the car is heated up.

No problems with the engine.

Everything in the car is very good till now.

General Comments:

I'm a bit disappointed in the Hyundai dealers... They do not provide you with the comfort you actually expect... Well that's all, but I still love my Getz.

And one of the worst things I have faced, is that I bought the car in 2008, and Hyundai stopped the production of the car the next year.

Well Hyundai did a big mistake by stopping this model... The best Hyundai Getz.

Review Date: 12th December, 2010