2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS from North America

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2013

Summary:

Terrible

Front valve cover gasket leaking, which leaked onto the alternator, causing it to go bad. After the alternator stopped, the car was running on the battery, which then died. Took it to the dealership to fix, and they wouldn't cover the cost of the battery.

We've had several others issues with the vehicle; would recommend staying away from Hyundai.

General Comments:

Cheaply manufactured.

Review Date: 25th July, 2013

16th Dec 2013, 15:22

I have the same problem with my Sonata 2009 V6 at 63000 miles. It cost me $1000 to get fix at the dealer. Hyundai should pay for this sort of oil leak. NO MORE HYUNDAI CARS.

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 3.5L from North America

First year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.5L Automatic
Previous carHyundai Sonata

Summary:

Overall satisfied, but won't purchase again

For the 2nd time in 18 months, I've had to replace the oil pressure sensor.

General Comments:

Enjoyed driving this vehicle up until now, but I think it's time to get rid of it.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2013

5th Jul 2013, 11:59

Isn't the truck still under warranty? That's an item they should cover.

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD 3.1 from North America

First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2013

Summary:

Disappointed

Oil pressure switch leak at 83000 km.

Poor gas mileage - less than 24 MPG.

General Comments:

The oil sensor light started intermittently turning off and on, first when the brakes were applied, then it flashed off and on when on a rough road. It would go off for various lengths of time when the ignition was turned off and the vehicle was restarted. Finally it stayed on.

I checked the oil several times, and it was at the full mark. When the light came on permanently, I again checked the oil and it didn't register on the dip-stick. I added oil and then checked to see if I could see any sign of oil in the snow. The oil was running out. I assumed an oil plug leak or a improperly installed filter was leaking. When I took it to the dealer, they informed me that it was a TYPICAL Sante Fe problem; the oil pressure sensor had failed and then started leaking. I have talked to several Sante Fe owners since then, and they had already experienced the same problem. I am now concerned that damage has been done to the motor, even though I watched and never saw the temperature gauge go up. Dealers have been notified that this problem exists, but owners are not notified of this COMMON problem.

Review Date: 19th March, 2013

20th Mar 2013, 16:05

The temp gauge won't show if you have done damage to your engine; you are losing coolant after all. Easiest way is to listen to the engine, did it make any strange noises or abnormally loud noises when the oil light came on and you were driving. Now that there is enough oil, does it still make these noises, such as ticking (noisy lifters), knocking (piston slap) or does it burn oil?

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2.4 from North America

Year of manufacture2009
Previous carDodge Ram Pickup

Summary:

Awful

Transmission.

Engine sensor.

Starter.

Undetermined problem that was miraculously fixed after 2 days at the dealer.

Upholstery.

General Comments:

Liked the styling and the price.

Lots of features.

Previously owned a Hyundai, and had excellent service and experience.

The warranty is a real joke. Not as advertised.

Review Date: 8th January, 2013

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD 3.5L 6 cylinder gas from North America

Year of manufacture2009
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 3.5L 6 cylinder gas Semi-Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Like it, and barring any further tranny thumps, may just buy another

Recall to add a suspension strut was covered by a ten minute fix.

3 trips into the dealership for a reset of the 6 speed automatic transmission "program", due to unexpected and loud thumps from the trans.

This occurred when the trans was not under load, while idling along in traffic with my foot off the gas, and the trans would suddenly clunk once enough to cause alarm. This is apparently a common occurrence. Last reset was about 500 kms ago, and no clunks since. Maybe someone with a tech background can explain what is going on? I can't even speculate.

Mileage is reasonable in comparison to the manufacturer's figures, but I wouldn't call it exemplary.

General Comments:

Nice, comfortable car. Has all the mod cons, save backup cam and sat nav.

Looked at another Honda Accord, Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander, but for what the Santa Fe cost loaded, the others were stripped down cloth seat base models with few options.

The car is great on the highway and in town. It passes swiftly, and is brilliant on Canadian winter roads with AWD, and kitted out with Bridgestone snow tires and winter rims. Like a tank in ice and snow, but rides and handles well.

I am 6'6" 2M tall and a big man, and it is very comfortable on long trips. Good seat adjustments, without making the back seat passengers feel like they are in economy.

I would rather drive a reliable car that handles well, and pay less, than pay an extra $20K for a trendmobile to impress whom? I have better things to spend my money on.

The auto writers seem to still have a woody for Hyundai, and it shows, but these are well built reliable cars with long warranties. Styling may be a bit of borrow from here and there, but every manufacturer does that now to the point of style homogeneity!

Visibility is excellent for parking lots, and city and highway driving.

Review Date: 22nd July, 2012

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe CRDI Premium 2.2 diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.2 diesel Manual

Summary:

Good car

Clutch failed at 11,000 miles.

Cruise control appears to deactivate of its own free will.

General Comments:

Very surprised to find the clutch failing after 11,000 miles, not what you would expect on a new car.

Tonneau cover in the back could do with being higher up, so you can get more luggage in and keep it covered.

Newer engine 190bhp is great - nice and powerful.

Review Date: 12th October, 2010

7th Feb 2012, 12:18

I also have a 2010, and I like the exterior and interior. But I'm not too satisfied with the running of it.

I've had to replace a lining with it in 2011, had a bad oil leak.

The molding by the door is about to fall off anytime.

I took a drive to Salamanca, Allegheny this past summer. It was a dangerous drive as I had my 5 year old niece with me. I would be driving on the freeway, and all of a sudden the truck would power down and I'd be going under 60 on a 110kph freeway! I'd have to pull over and restart the car and drive another 200 feet, and do it all over again.

I've had several sensor problems.

Window is slow going up.

I was also at school, and the Santa Fe would not start. I needed to call CAA to boost me, and the worker recommended me getting a new vehicle, because this was not the first time he's heard of these trucks being nothing but trouble.

I am currently looking for another vehicle.