1988 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign 3.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Stylish gentleman's performance saloon

Drivers window motor died recently.

Bought it as a non-runner.

Wet boot.

Power Steering leak.

And the inevitable RUST.

General Comments:

It handles and drives very smoothly, and boy-racers are surprised at how fast it is off the line.

Extremely comfortable, really good on long runs.

Really reliable, it's never broken down since I bought it.

Stylish, classy cabin.

Review Date: 18th April, 2010

1988 Jaguar XJ40 3.6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great car, a lot of car for a little money

Warning light for ABS has illuminated, however this is a common fault, still need to check, but may be a gummed up sensor or connections. This has not affected general braking during dry conditions.

General Comments:

As far as handling is concerned, the Jag is miles ahead of anything I have ever owned, and believe me, I have had quite a few cars.

The car takes corners like you would not believe, loves long bends and grips the road beautifully.

The J shift gearbox shift extremely quietly through the gears, it is hard to even notice a gear change.

Pick up from 0-80 is not super quick when auto mode is chosen, however switch to manual and it has plenty of power (still adequate in auto though).

The interior is luxurious compared to standard Australian production cars. The driver's seat is super comfortable, and can be moved any which way. The rear seats are also extremely comfortable.

The cars features make it hard to believe it is 21 years old, it drives and handles better than some newer cars I have had. My car does have Full Service History and was owned by a Jag lover.

As far as value for money is concerned, you cannot beat it. I paid $2000 for the car, I still cannot believe how good it goes for an older car.

For new buyers, make sure you check for rust as Jags are prone for it. My car however only has a couple of small bubbles appearing.

Review Date: 28th November, 2009

1988 Jaguar XJ40 3.6 from North America

Summary:

The BEST value in a pre-owned car!

Accumulator switch for ABS covered under warranty by Jaguar North America.

Middle A/C vents blow weak, and too much blows from defrost registers.

General Comments:

I bought the car off the Internet based on very low miles and very low price. I spent more than what I paid for it on new wheels (factory 20 hole "tear drop" in chrome), new Pirellis, new sound system including speakers, satellite radio, USB etc., some lenses and a new headliner. Also corrected parking lot scars, scrapes, dings etc.

I've driven this car on trips over 600 miles each way in absolute comfort and enjoyed 26.3 mpg over all on the trips. I love it! Best value on the planet in an older used car is a low mileage clean Jag. I pick up a `95 6.0 litre XJS next week.

I'm converted now to Jaguar. I have 30 plus years in the car business and have collected and restored numerous cars over the years.

Review Date: 14th October, 2009

1988 Jaguar XJ40 3.6 DOHC I6 from North America

Summary:

It is a terrific value as a pre-owned auto

Only failures have been accumulator switch covered by NHTSA recall.

Car seems to have a vapor lock or other problem that causes it to starve and die after 3 or 4 hours of running in the heat. After a 15 to 30 minute rest, it runs normally again. This does not seem to happen when ambient temps are below 95F.

General Comments:

It is a joy to drive as a boulevard cruiser. It is smooth, comfortable and reliable. Plus it is a very elegant car and looks like a car should with its stainless capped bumpers instead of molded plastic fascias. Genuine wood trim, leather, stainless and chrome.

It also averages over 24mpg on trips. Because of its nearly pristine condition, new chrome 20 hole teardrop wheels and classic Jaguar styling it still turns heads and gets compliments.

Review Date: 28th June, 2009