1980 Jaguar XJS Review

Most recent year of ownership1988
Engine and transmission 5.3 Litre V12 Automatic
Distance when acquired32000 kilometres
Previous carJaguar S-Type

Summary:

Fell to bits and almost made me do the same!

Well, I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said almost everything went wrong.

I bought it second-hand at a Melbourne Jag dealer, and in the 5 years I had it, it was a complete bomb and a bitter disappointment.

I was locked into a repayment scheme with the credit union, so I had to suffer with it until 1988 when it was paid-off.

The problems were mainly due to bad parts used in the manufacture of the car. For example, the entire dashboard blacked out and nothing worked except starting, all because of a faulty Lucas fusebox.

I would rather not go into further details about this nightmare. Suffice to say, I believe in "Forgive and forget"!

General Comments:

It was only suitable for 2 people inside. Yes, I was well-aware of this when I bought it. I never needed the back seats for anything, anyway.

Having said that, the cabin was absolutely luxurious and beautifully thought-out. It was a joy to sit in.

The looks of the thing were stunning (when I could bear to look at it!).

It performed better than any car I've driven, before or since.

Handling was not what you'd expect from an expensive GT. It had a lot of understeer.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2006

27th Dec 2010, 19:52

You're right, they are great looking cars, and they were a dream to drive. One of the fastest cars. The V-12 is sweet. It nearly used up all my spare cash. You have to fix and repair every working part on these cars. If you're a great mechanic, and I am, and you have plenty of cash to spend as a hobby on a car, then it's fine to restore or own one. If you're looking for a sport car that won't break down, pass. Trust me. It took all the fun out of it. Like my ex wife. I stopped loving her.

Average review marks: 6.0 / 10, based on 1 review