1991 Jaguar XJS Classic 5.3 from North America

Summary:

Trouble car - unsatisfied

Very disappointed.

At first the car would not start; replaced the starter and it did not start.

Replaced the ECU, and fuel pump and relay. It finally started, then it was burning too much fuel. Changed the spark plugs and still the same, changed the fuel injector assembly and that did not fix it. Replaced the coolant temperature sensor and that was the problem.

Drove around neighborhood for a couple of times, and then took a 40 minute ride, came back home and parked it. The next day I tried to start it and it did not, after all I had spent to get it running.

I checked for power at the coil plug, and there is power, but no power is sent to the wires, no power at the crankshaft sensor plugs, and the top won't work either. Also the radio and the window regulators. I checked all relays and fuses; they seem to be OK. I'm afraid that the ECU has gone.

If any of you know about this problem with this model, please send a comment and I will try your suggestion. Thanks for reading my complaint.. Thank you.

General Comments:

Unsatisfied with this car. Never had a problem like it.

Review Date: 12th November, 2008

1991 Jaguar XJS 3.6 Auto 3.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Long live the character and shape of the XJS

Hopefully you will already know how good an XJS is for comfort, ride quality and driving pleasure.

Problems have been confined to a leaking oil cooler/pipe joint and a blocked air conditioning valve which was replaced on a re gas / new receiver dryer.

General Comments:

Comparing th 3.6 AUTO to several V12s I have owned I have to say that fuel economy on a daily basis has improved by 25%+. This makes it useable as an everyday XJS. It pulls well and is smooth/quiet.

Go for a later ZF 4 speed auto with cruise control.

Personally I find the sports pack suspension a little choppy compared to standard. I am looking to go for a new set of standard spec dampers (shock absorbers)

Make no mistake the 5.3V12 is still one of the smoothest power engines around even after 30 years of production.

In summary an XJS is still a modern classic which can be used everyday. It puts a smile on my face each morning I get into it for work. Looks so right.

Maintain them on the regular basis and they will reward you...

Review Date: 27th April, 2007

1991 Jaguar XJS 5.3L V12 from North America

Summary:

The car is a very good, very unique vehicle, It has speed, handling, convertible fun, and loves 94 o

Have had parking brake repaired, which required replacement of rear calipers and pads. This was required for state inspection.

Rear brakes are now squeaking, this may now cause me to have the rear rotors replaced.

Heated seats don't work.

Power door locks don't work well.

Interior map lights don't function properly.

Had the oil sending switch replaced, it was leaking oil.

General Comments:

This car is very solid. My first impression of it was that it is a large, heavy car. Upon sitting in it though, it becomes smaller, or at least feels smaller. There is not a lot of extra space around the driver or passenger.

A driver has to use the accelerator pedal to really enjoy the potential of this car.

Review Date: 25th November, 2005

1991 Jaguar XJS Coupe from North America

I recently purchased a '91 XJS and love the way it drives and looks.

The main concern I have, at this point, is that there is a persistent water leak on the drivers side (front seat). I have read two other comments in this format regarding the identical problem, but have heard no feedback from others on how to rectify this problem. Currently trying a silicon sealant around the windshield gasket to make repairs and hopefully this will work. I would like to have other reader's input as well, in the event the sealant does not work.

Review Date: 11th January, 2005

22nd Jan 2005, 14:13

Water in the foot wells can be due to blocked air contioning drain tubes.

8th Apr 2005, 08:10

Look under the Scuttle vent grille - just in front of the screen. Corrosion & dedris can leek water behind the dash, which will find it's way into the footwells. Also check the vent tubes are clear.

I too have a 91 & love it. But these little niggles can spoil the fun (temporarily).

Paul UK.

27th May 2005, 15:49

I also own a 1991 XJS and love it. The previous comments are accurate, but there is one other place to check. There is a drain tube that exits between the enging and firewall. If this tube is clogged, it will cause puddles also. The tube is easy to see when the car in on a rack for an oil change and/or lube. On my XJS, it was the windshield that leaked. I had it removed, resealed and reinstalled. The windshield had been previously replaced and it was done incorrectly. All is fine now.

Good Driving.

Mike.

28th Jan 2006, 19:28

I have no XJS experience, but rebuilt an XKE over a five year period, and it had the same water leak problem --- on the driver's right foot.

After cleaning out the air conditioning drain line, the problem went away.

chris.

23rd Jun 2008, 20:49

In the manuals that I have, it is a known issue with this body style. It also details how to resolve the problem.

I too have it, so I know what you're talking about. Check into what's new in an XJS and you'll find the fix.

15th Oct 2011, 17:40

Hello, I had just bought a 91 XJS, & had it out for a drive, & had noticed the same problem; it was raining & leaking from the passenger & driver's side windshield. I looked on the outside, & noticed that the curvature of the frame & glass at the bottom corner of windshield, the water was pooling. I am going to do the same, but before I do, could you let me know how you made out the silicone, & if it sealed? Thank you.

1991 Jaguar XJS V12 Le Mans 5.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Cheap to buy, expensive to run - worth every penny!!

Drivers Electric Window not working

Cruise Control Not working

(neither repaired yet).

Oil Cooler required to be replaced Total Cost £400.

2nd hand front Near Side Wing (due to rust) total cost inc paint £200.

General Comments:

An absolutely beautiful car inside and out. Fantastic to drive. Unfortunately due to the petrol consumption and parts cost this is really just a car for the weekend.

Do not use dealerships they charge a lot of money and most of their mechanics have never worked on a car of this type. Find a local specialist!

Review Date: 26th May, 2004

1991 Jaguar XJS 3.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A great car for £4000. I will buy another, and another, and another..

The heater matrix was on the way out and was leaking when I bought it. Heavy steaming and condensation in the car revealed this. This cost £900 to fix, but was covered under warranty.

Also a whining noise from the differential bearings revealed and almost seized differential. My garage reconditioned the differential and replaced the bearings. Cost was £1700.

The boot lamps remained on even though the boot was closed. This managed to drain my battery and caused me to buy a new one. Raising the boot close detect switch by a couple of washers solved the problem.

General Comments:

The car is a great drive and pulls away and kicks down superbly. The drivers position is a little cramped as I am 6ft 2. Boot has plenty of room.

Review Date: 10th January, 2003