1983 Jeep CJ7 Reviews

1983 Jeep CJ7 amc 360 V8 from North America

Model year1983
Engine and transmission amc 360 V8 Automatic
Previous carJeep CJ7

Summary:

A total monster..

Nothing

General Comments:

This jeep is a monster-its a good daily driver, but its also a good off road driver as well.. with 38 inch swamper's. custom sway bars. and a brand new tub.. lots of extras..

Review Date: 12th April, 2006

1983 Jeep CJ7 Renegade 360 V8 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 360 V8 Manual
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

CJ7 for ever..

A lot of body rust everywhere. I took care of it some 6yrs ago, but it came back this year with a vengeance to the point I consider a body swap to come next year.

Swapped the tired and leaky 4.2 258ci for a nice 5.9 360 from a Grand Wagoner. Plenty of power and a lot of BMW chasing on the Turnpike. This said, the T5 transmission is weak off road, but quite nice on road and saves a lot on gas. Since the swap, a lot of good times indeed.

I'm having nightmares with the steering components since the vehicle was brought from England when I moved stateside. Parts suppliers are few and it is virtually impossible to buy export parts from the manufacturer.

The wiring was badly messed up, but I got it all sound again with a Painless Kit that required some adjustment due to the right hand drive and the different lights set up.

Seats are in poor shape and will need replacement, but for the moment, I will hide the misery under a new pair of seat covers.

General Comments:

It is a magnificent truck and I would not drive anything else. With the new V8, the experience is seriously enhanced and makes for a truly "hardcore Jeep".

The stock Export heavy duty suspension (7leaf spring assembly front, 9 on the rear) makes for a very uncomfortable ride, the price for style I guess.

The right hand drive nature of the vehicle is actually a good feature Stateside and generates a lot of attention.

Review Date: 15th October, 2004

19th Sep 2006, 19:42

I have owned my CJ7 for about 2 year now, and love every thing about it, even though it leaks a little, or a little rattle here and there. I can take my car anywhere go off roading anytime. I've spent over 6k in new parts and won't stop. The only thing left is to get rid of my weak 4 cylinder engine which can barley move my 33" tires with a 3" lift.

1983 Jeep CJ7 4.2L (258) inline six from North America