Seriously, this car is bulletproof.
- I replaced the front brakes at 205k because they weren't up to par for my 33" tires. Just part of maintenance.
- I have to replace my seat belt receiver because it doesn't always stay in.
- I believe my ball joints are going out now at almost 230k.. I can't believe they have lasted that long.. I am a bit abusive at times..
Well let's start: I can get 14 mpg in town with nearly 1/4 million miles. It starts and runs perfect everyday. I use it as a commuter, to hunt, fish, camp, take up in the high country.
This Jeep has had a hard life. The 4.0 inline 6 engine roars when you hit the gas, great transmission. It will go anywhere.. extremely capable, seats aren't all that comfortable.
I keep my Jeep maintained immaculately. Every 2500-5000 miles I run 10-40 Napa Gold high mileage oil. I run Royal Purple gear oil in my differentials and transmission, and Royal Purple ATF in my transfer case. Buy it with the 4.0 and 5-speed and you'll have a long long life.
Jeeps I have owned in the past:
- 1961 CJ5.. 195k miles
- 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 335k and still on the road
- 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8-130k
- 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 435k. Just replaced the trans once..
- 1988 Jeep YJ 2.5L 5-speed 155k still going strong.