2003 Jeep TJ Reviews

2003 Jeep TJ Sport 4.0 from North America

Previous carToyota RAV4

Summary:

Ultimate Off-Road Vehicle

Clutch went at 30,000 km.

Seats worn.

Front pinion seals blew at 18,000km.

Shocks blew at 24,000km.

General Comments:

This Jeep is the ultimate off road vehicle. I have a 3 inch lift kit with 33 inch mud tires. I have the extended fender flares, which stops most of the mud from getting all over the vehicle.

I did not have a very good fuel economy, but I recently purchased a chip and air intake, which increased my fuel economy for city driving, but made it worst for highway.

My Jeep doesn't have much power when I hit the highway with wind or hills, but when I take it offroading,and there's no other vehicle that can touch me.

I have 9 fog lights on my Jeep, which help out for the poor stock headlights that the Jeeps come with.

Review Date: 31st January, 2008

2003 Jeep TJ Apex 4 litre from North America

Engine and transmission 4 litre Manual
Previous carToyota Landcruiser

Summary:

High "fun factor" and GREAT 2nd vehicle

Passenger visor snapped off.

Rubber seals on top of windshield frame leaked like they weren't there, causing lots of water then mold inside.

Gas cap was faulty, making to "Check Engine" light come on, a lot.

Brake are sometimes grab, when first used in the morning.

General Comments:

Enjoyable little vehicle.

Turns on a dime, making it great for parking in crowded parking lots.

Not as "tough" as my Landcruiser, but not as "tough on my kidneys" as my land cruiser.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2006

2003 Jeep TJ Sport 4.0 Liter from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 Liter Manual
Previous carAMC Eagle

Summary:

Excellent Engine, Good 4WD System

Front left wheel caliper for brake leaked causing brake failure around 12000 miles. Loose banjo bolt.-Warranty repair fixed it.

Rear brake squeals sometimes as that started around 18500 miles-future owner repair/no warranty.

Windshield wiper motor squealed when new and in cold weather-Warranty repair.

Interior blower switch resistor shorted out causing fan to only work at high speed at around 7000 miles-Warranty repair.

General Comments:

I got the Jeep off the showroom floor in a fit of frustration with other older vehicles. I don't regret it as I have had those vehicles from the Reagan years that were not very reliable except my old 1983 Dodge Ram D150 with a Slant6;which I still have. I bought it for the motor-the wonderful AMC 4.0 liter in line six. That motor is and was not a Chrysler motor. They slightly modified it for noise, harshness and vibration. They just make it because they still have the tooling for it and that's wearing out and it's low end torque is good for low RPM operations. Reminds me of the famed Slant6 from Chrysler years ago though, but better. The 4.0L is far superior than the 258/4.2L AMC carbureted engine in the AMC Eagle SX/4 it replaced and I once owned. No switches or buttons for 4WD, no CV joints like a GM truck or my old Eagle in the front drive axle (it has a 'live axle' there),very simple inside and not that much to go wrong there. Had minor warranty issues just like any other new vehicle, but it wasn't made on a Monday either. The 4WD is excellent and the gear ratio and vehicle work well for 31" tires without further modifications. Nice to have all metal construction in a 'cute ute' world. The Unlimited came out the following year and that is the best in it's Rubicon option now. The TJ Wrangler Sport model is still very good and beats a lot of other vehicles for reliability and durability. Highly recommended!

Review Date: 1st December, 2005