1992 Jeep Wrangler Reviews

1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L 4 cylinder from North America

Model year1992
Engine and transmission 2.5L 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carGMC Jimmy

Summary:

The only way to understand a jeep is to drive one.

I had to replace the Radiator at 247000km.

General Comments:

I love this Jeep. I have had hardly any problems with it so far.

I use it as a daily driver and I take it on long highway trips also. I have a hard top on it which is very nice during winter, but it still is very noisy when driving at high speeds. During the summer I put a Bikini top on it and cruise around without the doors, it's very nice that way.

The little 4-Cylinder doesn't have much power, but has lots of torque for off-road use.

Driving long distance in it, I find is very nice. It's really noisy, but that's part of the adventure, eh! It can keep up to traffic on the freeway easily, with top speeds of 140 to 160 km/h; in a jeep, that fast, is scary.

Review Date: 27th March, 2005

1992 Jeep Wrangler Islander 4.0 Inline 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 Inline 6 cylinder Manual
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Pound for pound, a solid performer

Prior owner replaced radiator at 110,00 miles.

Prior owner replaced brakes at 90,000 miles.

I replaced brakes and front rotors at 158,000 miles. (approximately $380)

I replaced top radiator hose at 156,000 miles. (approximately $12)

I replaced passenger side rear shackle at 156,000 miles. (approximately $150.00/ mostly labor expense)

I replaced fuel filter at 165,000 miles.

(can't find receipt)

General Comments:

This Jeep has been a totally trustworthy vehicle, despite it's high mileage.

I've off-roaded with it during 110 degree weather out in Nevada and run it in the snow at high altitude during the Utah ski season.

I've towed other vehicles with it, and used it's winch to pull tree stumps and boulders during landscaping projects.

Although the valves and lifters are a bit noisy, the engine always starts up, revs like a dream, and the fuel injection system works like a charm.

It's a boxy little bugger, with not much room for hauling gear, or people, but it will not break down and endures all manners of abuse!

I don't baby it when driving it, but I do change it's oil every 2,500 miles, using only a leading brand synthetic oil which the original owner used from day one.

I also use a K&N filter, and clean it every 3 months, (far more than necessary).

I keep an eye on the belts and hoses, and monitor the radiator level and mix as well as the power steering and brake fluids.

I have not yet serviced the transmission, differentials, or transfer case, but will be doing so in the near future.

The in-line 6 cylinder engine is a torque rich motor that just doesn't know how to quit. (It's a shame that it's no longer in use)

Review Date: 19th November, 2003

27th Jul 2008, 14:08

I have owned a '92 since 1995, and with the exception of the normal items you would expect to have to replace throughout a 13 year ownership, it has been the most reliable vehicle ever!

Once you learn to deal with the lack of creature comforts, you soon realize the dependability is awesome! This has been my primary vehicle since I bought it, and the kids love it!

1992 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L from North America

First year of ownership1992
Engine and transmission 4.0L Manual
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

An uncomfortable, poorly made waste of money

Radiator needed to be replaced 1998.

Master Clutch Cylinder leaking.

Oil sucked through air filter shortly after purchase.

Several plastic parts broke (side mirror, A/C controls, etc.)

Water pump went bad in 1997.

Upholstery is tearing.

Heater broke 1999.

Fuel lines, leaked gas 2001.

Canvas top needed to be replaced 2001.

Angle of windshield resulted in several cracks in windshield.

Cracked exhaust manifold 2001.

General Comments:

I hate this car and will never get another one. In fact, I am going to avoid all Chrysler vehicles as a result of this experience. About the only thing a Jeep is good for is driving around town with the top down on a summer night and looking good. For regular use it is cold, noisy, bumpy, and has had too many things go wrong. It also uses too much gas. It handles nicely if you actually do go off-roading (the four wheel drive is pretty good), but it's not worth getting if you only off road a few times a year. Only get a Jeep if you have a better car in which to do your regular driving and don't mind the extra trips to the auto shop.

Review Date: 27th April, 2003

30th May 2003, 08:37

Boy, you must sure hate your jeep, being that you kept it for 9 years. Must not have been that bad!

18th Sep 2006, 12:25

I sort of agree, I have a 92 jeep as well and I am not too pleased with it.

31st Oct 2007, 18:20

I have a 92 Jeep Wrangler Islander, 154000 miles, and of course after 10 years of abuse that you must have given it, it was torn up some...