Lancia Y10 Reviews - Page 3 of 4

Year of manufacture1990
First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 999cc Manual

Summary:

Great first car which is loads of fun and not too fast, very highly recommended

The car needed new CV boots when I bought it.

I have replaced both bottom ball joints.

It has had a new track rod end.

The engine started to run badly due to and electrical fault, but this was cured with a small piece of wire.

It has had new shock absorber's on the back.

General Comments:

I love my Lancia, it is very reliable and even know it has done 94000 miles it still starts well and runs beautifully.

I love the chuckability of the Y10 it is like a go-kart which is great in town and country lanes, but motor ways can be a bit of a drag because the ride is terrible.

The cars performance is good for the engine capacity, I can't wait till I can afford to insure a Y10 turbo.

I have just re-sprayed the car in graphite grey, fitted fiat Uno alloy wheels, fitted a Y10 turbo front bumper and fitted a red (FILA) interior, it looks great.

Review Date: 8th August, 2002

1986 Lancia Y10 Turbo 1.0 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1986
First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2000
Previous carDaihatsu Charade

Summary:

Underrated, and rightly so; slow euro trash

Starter motor.

Exhaust.

Odometer.

Door window fell into door.

Cracked turbo exit pipe.

Rust.

Alternator.

General Comments:

A piece of rubbish; I struggled to do 25 miles on £5.

It had the most unconfident steering I have ever experienced. It weights up, giving you the impression it will hold its line, then it suddenly goes light as the car oversteers.

I also had a 1987 Daihatsu Charade GTti, which is the fastest 1-litre production car ever. 0-60 in 7.7 seconds. I got my brother to race me in the Y10 turbo down a long straight, with a rolling start at around 25mph, and I left him by a massive margin.

I had a lot of problems with my Daihatsu, but it was worth it, as it was such a good drivers car. Excellent handling, performance and economy. The most complete hot hatch ever.

Review Date: 19th July, 2002

12th Feb 2003, 16:09

Y10 Turbos do vary a lot, but when you get a good one they are brilliant. My car runs very strong. The Charade was a lot more highly tuned than the Y10. The Y10 has the potential to go a lot quicker. My car has a bleed valve which gets it pulling about 120bhp. This results in 0-60 in about 7 seconds. The engine is cabable of a lot more where as the Charades engine is not. I also have gas dampers and SPAX springs on my car which make it handle very well. Plus my car has 14" alloy wheels with 185/50 Yoko's tyre and has loads of grip. Not to mention how much more stylish the Y10 is than the Charade, plus the Y10 was the first small turbo charged car.

1990 Lancia Y10 Fire 1.0 from Germany

Year of manufacture1990
First year of ownership1990
Most recent year of ownership2000

Summary:

A good fellow!

The shock absorbers had to be renewed at 90.000 km and were substituted by Monroe-Sensatrac shocks which I higly recommend.

Braking pads were worn-out every 55.000 km.

Muffler changed after 90.000 km and 150.000 km.

Differential-bearings were worn out at 150.000 km.

General Comments:

The Y10 Fire is a great, versatile and reliable small car that can be highly recommended.

Review Date: 14th June, 2002

21st Apr 2004, 16:19

I couldn't agree more. In fact it's a wonderful car, but, at least here in Portugal unless you buy original parts it's very very hard to find them.

But, i'm very happy with mine. By the way I've just recently purchased a Autobianchi Y10 Fire. Same engine, the only difference is the oil pressure gage. It's not installed. A few months ago I had pressure problems, I thought that it was related to the gasoline. But I've Found out that It was the oil. So i've started using Diesel Oil (15W/40). And it as done wonders to the engine.

1989 Lancia Y10 fire 1.0 from France