2001 Lexus GS Reviews

First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carChevrolet Venture

Summary:

Fun, reliable, all around good car. Only complaint is it doesn't drive well in snow

One of the tail pipes had to be welded back on just behind the catalytic converter.

General Comments:

This is an excellent and reliable car, the only gripe I have is that it does not get good traction in snow.

I have had this car for two years, and I have only had to have routine maintenance, except for the tail pipe incident, which was not expensive or time consuming at all. Lexus is known for having slightly more expensive maintenance, but it is well worth it for the reliability.

This car handles very well (when there is no snow), drives quiet, and can get-up-and-go when you tell it to. This car is also very comfortable and roomy, especially with all of the seat changing options.

This car has all the benefits of a luxury car, with the power and feel of a sports car (and if you throw on custom rims, it gives it the look of a sports car). It also has plenty of room, which makes it a good family vehicle, even for long trips.

Review Date: 9th February, 2011

10th Feb 2011, 06:46

It always amazes me when I see high end cars driving without winter tires during snow storms. Tow truck drivers see $$$ when they see these drivers in ditches.

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sports Luxury 3.0L DOHC I6 VVTi from Australia and New Zealand

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2001
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 3.0L DOHC I6 VVTi Semi-Automatic
Previous carToyota Soarer

Summary:

It's a very good car, a little underpowered for my liking, but a very good car nonetheless

The power antenna has stopped functioning properly.

A bulb on the audio display is out.

Air temp mix servo is on its way out.

General Comments:

This is our family car.

A generally effortless luxury sports sedan. I had switched over from two turbo Soarers and one V8 Soarer into the GS300, so performance isn't as satisfying, however to me it's more due to the fact that the throttle system is drive-by-wire (DBW) instead of direct cable/mechanical.

Getting up to speed is perfectly fine, however with a full load, air conditioning on and trying to overtake requires a little bit of timing and much right foot gusto. Our GS300 is equipped with E-Shift, however I never use it unless I want the vehicle to hold its gear going down steep declines.

For a large luxury sedan, I think the suspension is quite well sorted and makes the car feel a bit more lighter than it really is. The only gripe here would be the brake pedal feel, it'd be nice if it were more direct.

Interior wise is as a Lexus should be. The only gripe I can really think of is driver leg room is a bit of a minimum considering the size of the car. Very comfortable.

Our GS300 is pretty much fully equipped... self leveling HID lamps, mirror polished 17" alloys, tilt/slide sunroof, leather trim etc. The only thing I wish it did have would probably be a limited slip differential, which were never available on Australian delivered examples from what I know. The only other thing to top it off would've been the 3UZFE engine from the GS430 (again, never available in Australia until the current model release).

Review Date: 10th December, 2010