1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E280 2.8 24 valve petrol from UK and Ireland

Big car, small price!!

Bloody electric aerial, why do they put these stupid unreliable gimmicks on quality cars???

Shock absorbers are getting a bit floaty after 7 years and 130,000 miles.

General Comments:

It's just heaven, fast, reliable, looks gorgeous in metallic grey.

A real hotrod if you are in the mood.

Worried that the late model E-Class won't live up to this one's standards.

Only cost £7,000 and feels like it will last forever.

Review Date: 7th December, 2001

11th May 2004, 12:35

Well we've got a W210 model E class now and I have to say that it is another excellent car. Maybe not quite as solid as this W124.

1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4.2 gasoline from Germany

Wonderfull fast and silent car. Great pleasure to drive

Nothing till now, but it is very advisable to do regular maintainances.

General Comments:

The car is very good at all, It is fast, silent, and of good Mercedes quality, as previous models like the W123. My car has the sportline feature pack, which makes it a little uncomfortable compared to standard, but is is more fun to drive.

Review Date: 27th June, 2001

19th Sep 2002, 18:19

My 1994 Mercedes E420 is an over all a wonderful car. As a previous BMW owner, it was truly a different experience. What is most attractive about it is the simplicity of interior, with little, or not extra-complicated gadgets. The interior noise level is wonderful, and very little engine noise at any engine speed, especially in idle mode. What is lest favorable about it is the way the transition reacts. Though it's smooth, but very unresponsive.

12th Nov 2004, 23:59

I have owned my 1994 E420 since September of 2001. I have driven it across country 3 times and have never driven a nicer car. I used to rent many cars for work when I traveled and I have probably driven over 20 models extensively. The E420 is the best car I have ever driven or owned. I have cruised across Montana at 95 MPH and the car has begged to go faster. My car has almost 200,000 miles on it and has required many repairs, but I would not part with it for anything. It is quiet, smooth, comfortable, and everything I would want in a fine automobile. My plan is to keep my E420 and restore it to better than new condition when I am able with after market ignition and exhaust system and improved suspension. This car is a keeper. I love this car. I see newer Mercedes that look nice but have no intention of trading for a newer model. This is the last car I will ever need, as far as I'm concerned.

1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4.2 liter gasoline from North America

A wonderful car to drive, and a terrible car to own

5/15/98 Replaced starter.

9/25/98 Replaced fuel injection control unit and PVC hose.

10/9/98 Replaced EA motor.

10/22/98 Repaired vacuum leak at intake.

10/8/99 Resealed power steering reservoir.

5/30/00 Replaced left front motor mount, front struts, and rear shocks.

5/30/00 Repair power steering (leaking from 10/8/99 repair).

8/1/00 Rebuilt the transmission.

11/00 Repaired a leak in the evaporator.

12/00 Low compression in one cylinder. Cause never identified.

General Comments:

This car is mechanically unreliable.

Dealer service was slow with repairs taking from 3 to 10 days, frequently on the basis of parts not in stock.

Review Date: 26th March, 2001

21st Jun 2001, 12:36

Ralph C. just picked up an "E." I think it looks rather cheap compared to the more solid models. There are much better ways to blow 50 G's.

20th May 2007, 04:48

I have to disagree with the original review. I have owned a 1994 E420 and have had to perform only one type of non-standard maintenance on the vehicle ever: I replaced the headlights that had been cracked from extended highway use in the US (rocks, etc... from semis).

24th Oct 2007, 23:26

At what mileage did you have to have the transmission rebuilt? I'm curious because the auto trans in my '87 300E was slipping badly by 108k miles and needed a rebuild. I would expect better longevity in a car of this class. Maybe Volvo has spoiled me.

19th Dec 2007, 21:33

I've owned my 1994 E420 since 2001 when I purchased it with 65,000 miles. Now it has about 25K and it looks almost as good as it did since I purchased it.

If you are a do-it-yourself person, then this is a car that you can work on. I've had issues with it, but nothing serious yet.

This thing should run to 300K.

22nd Nov 2008, 02:16

I have had my E420 for 10 years now. I have not driven it much in last 5 years. It's a beautiful, fast, reliable car. It's a beast when it comes to racing!!

Interior has sat in the sun for years and its nearly perfect. My third Benz and the only times I had issues has been when my Benzes have sat for long periods of time. Benzs are made to run run, and they do run run...