2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 270 CDI Classic 2.7 turbo diesel from Belgium

Summary:

Very nice car, but the quality was not correlating with its price & reputation

Turbo blew a pipe twice.

Alternator died.

Radio antenna enhancer died (no RDS, no remote locks).

Rear window spray jet died.

Navigator screen worked only intermittently.

Lower control arms had to be changed.

Automatic boot cover (station wagon) died twice.

Interior started to show abnormal wear and tear; for example b-pillar cover fabric wore so thin it ripped. Light beige artificial leather was pretty, but surprisingly prone to tearing. I'd like to point out, that none of my car interiors (2x Merc, Volvo, Ford, BMW, Peugeot etc. etc.) before or since has been so weak.

General Comments:

A very nice car to drive, comfortable, a very nice engine which felt even stronger than it actually was. Mercedes 5 speed automatic gearbox is a legend and for a good reason, it is very smooth. Harman-Kardon sound system is a bliss. Very good seats. All in all, a near-perfect long distance cruiser.

Back seat was surprisingly cramped for a car that size. Boot was not massive either. Both previous and following E-Class models are much roomier.

Build quality was surprisingly low, and we had quite a bit of problems even though I was the second owner and the car was purchased via a Mercedes-owned Nearly New Car center, so the mileage was most likely correct, and the car had been serviced according to the schedule.

The service costs if done by dealer are very high. OEM parts are very expensive. This does not seem to result in an especially high quality product, though.

My third Mercedes, and most likely the last - at least for quite a while. A moderate disappointment.

Review Date: 13th August, 2014

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4.3 liter V8 from North America

Summary:

Worst year for Mercedes?

Numeric digital display failure on speedometer.

Total HVAC system failure - needed new A/C.

Violent shaking - engine mounts needed replacement.

Right mirror motor failure.

Passenger seat heater failure.

Driver seat adjustment failure.

Driver & rear window regulator failure.

Engine oil leak - twice.

Transmission shift failure.

Radiator leak.

Blower sensor failure.

O2 sensor failure - replaced.

General Comments:

Was this the worst time for Mercedes Benz? It certainly looked like it based on the numerous reports I came across and according to a MB tech. I regret that I didn't do my research before buying the E430.

There was something going wrong with it every other week. I had to check under the car every morning before going to work to check for any leaks.

I can go on and on about all the bad, but there were some things that were good.

The 4.3 liter V8 had brute force and performed very well. It was one of the best V8 engines I've had until I bought a different car.

The overall comfort was excellent without compromising performance. Suspension was firm, and did very well in any road conditions.

I regret to say that this E430 was the worst car I have ever owned.

Review Date: 1st July, 2013

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 270 Avantgarde CDI 270 CDI Turbo Diesel from Estonia

Summary:

Excellent car

Nothing, except some "clicking" sound coming from back seat. Will ask dealer to fix it during the regular maintenance check.

General Comments:

All my previous cars were petrol, so I was a little bit afraid that diesel will be slow and noisy. This car is extremely quiet and has better acceleration than my previously owned Opel Omega V6 2.5L. Average fuel consumption is 8,6 liters per 100km, and I drive only within the city, with it's traffic jams.

Car is very comfortable, it's Avantgarde version equipped with everything needed to make driving a car a real joy. Seats are comfortable, my first car of more than 10 I owned, where I can drive for hours, and get out of the car without any back pain, as it was with my cars before. Factory sound system has very good sound, and quite good performance - if you are not a hi-Tech sound maniac it will be more than enough.

So far, looks like this is true, that MB made a lot of work with improving their cars quality - nothing went wrong with this car. It gives everything you can expect from this class MB - excellent value for money, and comfortable and quiet ride.

Review Date: 23rd November, 2006