1974 Mercedes-Benz W116 450SE 4.5L gasoline from North America
U-turns like a hatchback, and turns heads as a classic car should do
Nothing has gone wrong with the car while I owned it, but there are problems with it when I bought it:
- Had tie rods done ($500).
- Needs new upper control arm bushings & ball joints.
- Needs a complete new exhaust system minus manifolds/headers.
- Marginal rust on one side of the car due to the previous owner parking it on the side of the main road during salty winters.
- Some electrics such as the aux engine fan, dash illumination and air conditioning not working.
- Indicator stalk won't stay engaged unless I hold it.
- Springs are worn out for front and rear passenger seats, but the driver's is still perfect.
- Front and rear windscreens are starting to de-laminate.
- Engine idle RPM is a bit too high.
- Power steering sometimes leaks.
First car and spent only a grand on it. Even though it needs work, it is a reliable daily driver, never breaking down on me. I hope to slowly restore it, bit by bit every month or so. If things work out, I'd like to hold on to it until the day I have children and pass it on to them when I pass. I'd like to see the day it reaches 500 000 km too.
The car is worth a lot more than the grand I spent on it. The interior is flawless with no rips or scratches in the leather.
Surprisingly easy to park and to control in the snow. U-Turns like a hatchback, and turns heads as a classic car should do. Acceleration is smooth, if not a bit leisurely.
Gas ain't bad, $60 to fill up 94 octane every 2 weeks. But it'd be nice to have a second car for driving to class.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 31st January, 2009