1980 Mercedes-Benz W116 Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1980 Mercedes-Benz W116 450 SEL 4.5L V8 from North America

Model year1980
Year of manufacture1980
Engine and transmission 4.5L V8 Automatic

Summary:

Fun, stylish, reliable, but thirsty

I had to replace the electrical wirings.

The reverse gear stopped working, had to replace the transmission.

Fuel pump broke down.

General Comments:

This sleeper rocks! Old, but entertaining and reliable, and very fast.

It costs me less to drive this baby (with style) and to fix it than to pay for a cheap new car (aka Civic). (yes, no more depreciation and if kept well maintainded, it will start gaining value as a collector!

Though..it's VERY thirsty (and drinks premium, not regular gas).

A thing to know... no recommended for winter driving!! keep it as a summer car and get yourself a used Subaru Loyale as a winter toy (that's what I did)

To finish, put some good music in and you feel like flying down the highway... awesome!

Review Date: 9th January, 2005

12th Apr 2006, 22:31

Hi, I am interested in buying a 450SEL 6.9 in very good condition. It will not be my only car, but your review, which I appreciate, kept me wonder why not to use it in winter? Are there problems with traction -too much power- or something like that?

Thank you in advance for your response.

7th Jun 2006, 14:48

It's just because of the traction. If not driving very calm you will have several u-turns unexpected!

As well it be a shame if the car would get rusty by salt!!!

7th Apr 2011, 13:02

The US-version 450SE marks 132MPH (213KM/H) on good example.

That's excellent for a combination of angular body (CD 0.42) and 180BHP 4.5-litres, catalyzer-equipped engine.

1980 Mercedes-Benz W116 300SD 3.0Turbo diesel from North America

Year of manufacture1980
Engine and transmission 3.0Turbo diesel Automatic
Distance when acquired212000 miles
Most recent distance222000 miles
Previous carSubaru Impreza

Summary:

Potentially a great car

Some clown had welded a plate between body and cross-member on front suspension, so new parts needed approx $600. Driver seat started to sag badly. Body rot had set in and wouldn't let go.

General Comments:

I guess if you buy a good one this is one solidly-built car.

I didn't, and it constantly needed attention. A/C didn't work, cruise-control use to randomly cut-out and then accelerate without warning.

The engine was noisier than other MB diesels I've heard, etc etc.

Be wary - this was an expensive car when new - some parts are still exorbitant and hard to find.

Review Date: 28th October, 2003

26th Jul 2005, 19:47

This is a great all around car. Mine needed a little attention paid to the body, but some scrap sheet metal, a sander, and a fresh coat of paint it still looks as good as it did in 1980.

10th Jan 2006, 09:18

You fixed the body yourself too?? well I was planning on doing it myself, because I fixed the rust on my own civic and my brothers, so can you email me and tell me how its done properly on this car? i love it to much to take a risk irule300@hotmail.com.