1998 Mercury Mountaineer Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8 from North America

Model year1998
Engine and transmission 5.0 V8 Automatic
Most recent distance111900 miles

Summary:

Best overall vehicle I have ever driven

I had a radiator hose burst, but that was basically missed routine maintenance.

Windshield is now cracked due to the weather.

Back door locks stick and rear passengers have a hard time getting out.

Transfer case and front differential are wearing badly, but were also used hard.

Brake pedal faceplate came off.

General Comments:

I love this truck, its been everywhere from Maine to Kansas, has carried everything from 7 passengers to groceries to a transmission, and performs beautifully. The 5.0 is fantastic for surprising people at the stoplight and especially on the highway with the overdrive on. Stability is unbelievable, I've been in an accident where I was driving over 95 mph and slid straight sideways on the road and was thrown into a ditch. As soon as I was sideways, I think any other SUV would have rolled at least 3 times, but no one wheel ever came off the road. I have absolute confidence in this truck and anyone who wants to own one should think very seriously about it.

Review Date: 15th January, 2005

1998 Mercury Mountaineer from North America

Model year1998
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Safe, reliable, affordable... I love this truck!

I had a few recalls, nothing too serious, however Mercury was quick and professional in servicing the vehicle.

My wipers occasionally lose their "rhythm" and need to be turned off then on.

Back driver's side door automatic door lock tends to stick and lock passengers in.

Never was able to figure out the integrated phone option on my stereo. Stereo display "dimmed" when I first got the car. Mercury dealer took the stereo out and replaced with a new one. No questions asked.

General Comments:

My mercury has over 100,000 miles on it and has never had a serious problem. Still runs great.

Certain days the truck runs faster and better... not quite sure why, but doesn't affect the overall performance quality.

I love this truck! I went car shopping not too long ago and could not find all the features nor the added security I have with my Mountaineer. I will definitely buy another!

Review Date: 21st October, 2004

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0L V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

Over-priced under-reliable crud

A/C developed leaks in 4 locations; $1100 repair (opted to sweat instead).

Lock actuator failed in 3 out of 5 doors.

Stereo developed a short, refused to display anything.

Retractable radio antenna stopped retracting.

Mercury dealer would not provide keyless entry code and would only provide one key.

Angry letter to Mercury got me (true story) a pre-printed Hallmark "we're sorry" card.

Reflective tape on grille bubbled up across the entire front.

General Comments:

Engine and transmission ran without a hiccup. Everything else went bad from the very day we drove it off the lot. Car seemed to go into the shop every 2 months; first-name basis with mechanic.

5.0L V-8 and AWD = atrocious gas mileage (14/18, knock 3 mpg off each if running the A/C).

Poor customer service from Mercury and the dealership in town (allowed to drive off the lot with a dirty car, no gas in the tank, a nail in the front tire).

The best SUVs have a ride similar to that of cars; this vehicle was geared and drove more like a tractor. It had a very upright and unstable feel to it, great straight-line machine, but did not like curves at all.

Review Date: 19th June, 2004

19th Jun 2004, 13:52

I really don't think you have a leg to stand on. Keep in mind you bought the car USED!!!

19th Jun 2004, 21:09

You went and bought a 2 ton+ SUV, and you complain about your gas mileage? Maybe you shouldn't have bought it! People like this just piss me off when they whine about their trucks and SUV which they shouldn't have bought in the first place. Use some common sense and buy the vehicle that you actually need next time.

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0 from North America