2005 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Buyer Beware Transmission Problems

My truck started not shifting right at 48,000 miles. Now the traction control light is on. The dealer told me I needed a Traction control sensor It's not covered under drive train warranty. Cost $2200.

Back brakes had to be changed 3 times already and tranny is still shifting rough.

General Comments:

Really nice on the inside, but Mercury should recall the transmission or some of the parts on this vehicle. I would stay away from this vehicle.

Review Date: 8th October, 2007

12th Oct 2007, 20:07

I agree. There are some transmission issues with this vehicle definitely. My 2003 shifts rough, especially when down shifting at lower speeds. Ford said that's just the way it is with this transmission. I've also had multiple things changed on the transmission, which haven't fixed the rough shifting. (More in my review)

31st Mar 2008, 23:56

I have a 2005 Mountaineer that has given me absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I'm not thrilled with the gas mileage but that's what one expects with a large SUV. It's comfortable, roomy and good looking.

21st Dec 2008, 20:53

Totally agree with driver error on the tranny problems. Remember people, you have full time AWD so your vehicle is operating two drive-trains. Wait for a complete stop when changing gears. Take care of your vehicle and your vehicle will take care of you.