1996 MG F VVi 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

I love it but it's a labour of love

Massive water leaks into the cabin.

Split rear window.

Zip came off rear window.

Door window stop broken.

Clock bulb missing.

Oil and water leaks.

Rear light fell out of its mounts and fell off.

Driver door card fell apart.

Endless squeaks and rattles.

Radiator completely worn out and replaced.

Misfires sometimes.

Suspension was deflated when purchased.

Heater doesn't work on 1 and 2.

Centre heater vent broken.

General Comments:

After all that, it's only a weekend car, and I love the thing.

Review Date: 12th October, 2012

1996 MG F VVC 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great to drive, but not so great to own

Broke down less than one month after I bought it. The car had 26,000 miles on the clock and the fault was due to ignition failure. The ignition was replaced under warranty.

Due to various engine problems broke down seven times in two years.

Air conditioning failed after 33,000 miles.

CD player ejection button stopped working a few weeks before I sold the car.

General Comments:

Had lots of mechanical and electrical problems and wasn't the best built car in the world, but it was great to drive and inexpensive to run.

Paid £11,000 for it when it was 2 years old and sold it less than 2 years later for £7,000.

But I'd never have one again because the quality is not up to scratch.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2006

1996 MG F 1.8 MPi 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great as a second or summer car - not great as a daily drive

Constantly lost coolant although nobody knew where to becasue it never seemed to overheat. Very disheartening though.

Various bits fell off IE oil dipstick tube and the whole interior fell apart.

Seats ripped, sun visors fell off, carpets didn't fit.

Key-fob pathetic.

Roof never fitted properly around windows, which also went up too far.

Previous owner had rebuilt engine after gasket blew and head warped, still didn't seem right.

Generally, the whole car felt like it was going to fall apart.

General Comments:

Despite the various trim problems and the worrying amount of coolant being lost, the car is very Jekyll and Hyde.

In the dry with the top down it sounds fantastic, goes like a true sports car, handles like a dream and looks amazing.

In the wet with the top up, you can't see where you're going or where you've been and it goes sideways quicker than forwards.

You're always very warm though, really good heating.

Review Date: 27th December, 2005

1996 MG F 1.8i sports convertible from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The MGF acts its price

Fan electrics stopped working and caused the car to overheat.

Suspension weakened quite quickly.

Leaks through the windows.

General Comments:

For the price I paid, I was very happy with the quality I got.

I did not pay much and thus did not expect much.

I was prepared for the trouble I got from the car because its price tag did not require me to take out a mortgage.

However, the MGF drove well and I felt like I was driving a cheap ferrari, which is what it was in essence.

I was very proud to own the MGF and don't regret it for one minute because the prices I paid on services, which were quite high, reflected the low price I paid for it originally.

All in all, the car took corners well, the engine felt like Gazza only just past his peak, it looked and felt sexy when topless and I didn't lose much money when I sold it on.

Review Date: 28th July, 2004

1996 MG F MPi 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Best car I have ever had (by a huge margin) - get one, you won't regret it

Head gasket at 91,000 miles.

The odd leak from the hood.

A flat battery once.

Inner rim tyre wear.

General Comments:

Handling is exceptional, especially when coupled with he ride quality.

Design isn't faultless, but is extremely pleasing to the eye and functional.

Build quality could be better, but it isn't bad, just not up to German standards - certainly much better than I expected (it is after all a British sports car).

Hydragas suspension is fantastic - this makes the car in my opinion, it is a perfect compromise between handling and comfort - all the other competition suffer from bone jarring rides.

The car is quick, but isn't necessarily fast. It is more than capable of keeping up with most things on the road, but will eventually be lost on a straight run. Bends and roundabouts however and you'll be hard pressed to loose an F - the handling is superb.

Boot space is ample, the best in class when launched, except it's an odd shape so squashy bags rather than suitcases are the rule.

Cabin is well appointed and nicely designed. Feels well screwed together (with one or two exceptions) and very comfortable.

Driving position is great except for the steering wheel which is a little offset to the lower left - this can cause problems for those with long legs.

Hood is a work of genius, can be opened and closed from the driver's seat in less than 5 seconds, folds into an incredibly small space too - very clever. Newer cars have a revised design, older design hoods can have (very) minor leaks.

Review Date: 23rd December, 2003

20th May 2004, 04:41

So glad to see a good comment about the MGF, I have a 1997 MGF I bought it secondhand it had one previous owner, so far I have had to replace the coil which took the garage 2 days to sort why it wouldn't start, had new radiator also, just run of the mill things I suppose, but having left my car standing for 1 week outside during Jan 2004, while on a skiing holiday I returned to find it wouldn't start. My partner removed all the plugs cleaned them etc and off it went, other than that I love my MGF its not superfast, but it handles like a dream, Hope to buy a new one when I have saved some more cash.