1969 MG Midget Review

1969 MG Midget Mk III 1.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1969
Distance when acquired32000 miles
Previous carn/a n/a

Summary:

Goes just like a rear wheel drive Cooper S, only topless

Exhaust fell off due to rust.

Dash lights blew with a puff of smoke and sparks. Now I know why they list a fire extinguisher as an upgrade option in some of the MG parts catalogs.

Inlet manifold gasket needed replacing. Not a big deal.

Wire wheels needed replacing. But I knew that when I bought it.

General Comments:

The Midget, if set up properly, can be a great city car. It handles like a go cart and due to its weight (or lack thereof) it accelerates nicely in traffic. Particularly if you fit a better exhaust manifold (extractors) open air filters and re-jet the carburettor. Just don't try to go over 70mph very often.

I picked up this one for an absolute bargain. It had just had an engine rebuild and the suspension sorted.

The paint was awful and the interior worn out. I resprayed and re-trimmed it myself so now it looks great and runs beautifully.

It has been extremely reliable and has always taken me to my destination unscathed.

A good looking MG Midget is cooler than Snoop Dogg sipping iced-tea in the antarctic. It always attracts waves, smiles and pleasant comments whenever it's out and about.

Find a rust free example and you won't regret it.

Review Date: 4th June, 2004

19th Oct 2005, 07:09

I totally agree. As an owner of a couple of midgets (and a couple of MGBs as well) Simple mechanics, easy to maintain, but most of all FUN!

11th Jun 2006, 09:26

I am considering buying a Midget for myself, and review has made my decision a little easier. You make it sound like a Midget is a fun, reliable, and completely enjoyable car to own. I could save my money for the next car opportunity that rolls around, but I believe I just may become the new, proud owner of a 69 Midget. Thanks!

Average review marks: 7.8 / 10, based on 1 review