1998 Mitsubishi Colt Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1998 Mitsubishi Colt Mirage 1.6 16v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.6 16v Manual
Previous carFord Fiesta

Summary:

A reliable, unique looking sleek hatchback

No problems (touch wood!)

Kept to Mitsubishi service schedules with dealer services every year.

Passed MOT with no issues for the last 3 years!

Parts & servicing may be slightly more expensive than similar cars in it's class, but in my opinion worth paying for the reliability.

General Comments:

An amazing looking factory standard car - with an aggressive stance from the front - and sleek aerodynamic profile. Especially for a standard, lower priced hatchback. The body-kit really makes this car.

The bottom end power isn't mind blowing, but the 16 valve engine is willing to rev.

Very economical on fuel if driven correctly.

Handling is good, but this can be drastically improved by better wheels, tyres and the fitting of better springs - which is a low cost modification.

Interior is very comfortable - no rear passenger space to speak of. This is ideally a car suited for two people. Full electrics (windows, roof, mirrors) with dual airbags.

The interior is standard Japanese design. Not flashy, but fits in with the overall image of the car.

Review Date: 21st February, 2004

2nd Jun 2012, 13:02

Hi everyone. I've got a 1997 1.6 auto Colt; only 90bhp.

Having a few problems with the transmission box. It's very rough when changing gear. You can feel it push you back in your seat. It seems to help when I change oil. Anyone know what oil is right for it? Comma AQF Automatic Transmission Fluid is what I used last, but don't think it's right.

craigalangston@hotmail.co.uk

1998 Mitsubishi Colt GLX 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1998

Summary:

Underrated great car

None.

General Comments:

As this was my first car it seemed really nippy though it had to be worked hard to reach higher speed's.

I bought my car for £2200 with 43000 miles on the clock which is an absolute steal and it will run forever.

The build quality is top class as you would expect from Mitsubishi especially when compared to other small hatchback's. Only the interior upholstery was a bit cheap looking.

The styling can be improved with a few aftermarket parts (bigger alloys, tinted windows, etc). This made mine a real head turner and complimented the aggressive front end.

Overall the Colt is a fantastic car and extremely underrated which is a shame as it's big brother the Lancer Evolution is worshiped worldwide. If only Mitsubishi had made a hot hatch version.

Review Date: 8th December, 2003

24th Apr 2006, 18:26

I also had one of these - it was the best made most reliable car I ever had - bought new in 1998, sold it 2005 with 48k miles. It never even missed a beat. Superb. I have replaced it with a new Civic. What a mistake. I hate my new car and wish I could have the Colt back. I had real trouble finding a car which was anywhere near as solidly built. They just don't build cars that well any more.

14th Mar 2008, 17:12

Couldn't agree more with this comment - I did exactly the same. Replaced a 1998 1.6 glx auto with a new Civic. The colt was built like nothing else. Absolutely superb. The civic, by contrast is crap. I hate it.

1998 Mitsubishi Colt GL 1.3 from Germany

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2002
Most recent distance52000 kilometres
Previous carMitsubishi Galant

Summary:

A rather good deal

The wheel support had to be replaced at 20000 km.

The front disc brake pads had to be replaced 3 times.

Rear bumpers failed after 35000 km.

General Comments:

The engine has very little torque.

It's fun to drive though it's not very fast. However the interior quality is pretty solid, the looks are sort of cheap.

Paint looks good, but is only a couple micrometers thick.

Door locks tend to freeze in the winter.

Review Date: 29th August, 2002

29th Oct 2002, 17:52

I agree with the review. Colts are a problem just waiting to happen. I can't think of a car that has so many problems! First the drive shaft, then the brakes, steering, carburetor, rings and so on... Once you've fixed one thing, something else stuffs up. Its almost like they were made to fall apart. I guess that explains why theres so many in the Trading Post, no-one wants to keep them!

-Veryangrycoltowner. QLD.

10th Feb 2003, 08:11

I have owned my colt for just over a year now and I totally disagree with what you say about them. I haven't had a problem with mine and it's only a T reg. As for the speed it's a lot quicker than my friends 2.0 litre PUG and I laugh at those boy racers that try and take us on.

I have found mine very reliable, and as for the freezing locks we must live in one of the highest and coldest places and up to now I have never had this problem.

It's one of the best starting cars I have ever had it can stand for weeks in all weathers and it will fire up first time every time.

2nd Oct 2008, 01:37

Now I have one of this cars...and..I must to say that I´m really happy with it. It look like very well, is fast, economic and comfortable. I have no problems with it: It´s a good car, specially for young people. Sorry about mistakes, I´m from Latin America. Thanks.

1998 Mitsubishi Colt GLX 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carMitsubishi Colt

Summary:

An excellent little mover!

Faulty interior light switch. Fixed by the dealer, but not 100%, but a small price to pay for an excellent little car.

Servicing and parts are not cheap, so be warned, that is the only fault I have with this car.

Reliability is wonderful, in the 4 years I have had my two cars, both Colt 1.3's I own have never broken down or had any problems.

General Comments:

The seats are very comfortable, and driving is very relaxing. Power steering is the best out of any cars I have driven, it's light, but not too light.

Good car stereo as standard, normally a Phillips.

Review Date: 18th July, 2001