1996 Mitsubishi FTO GR 2.0 litre V6 non mivec from UK and Ireland
Cheap, reliable, great looking coupe that does the job
1. Central locking not working or working intermittently... not checked yet, but think it's the door motors.
2. After about a month, the alternator packed up, and also the brush pack in starter motor burnt out on one side! You can get brush pack 4 starter motor from Lucas UK! Like £25 rather than £125, and it's been fine since!
3. Removed the immobilizer also, as it did play up couple of times, but could have been down to the starter; I'm not 100% sure!
In general the electrics are bit rubbishy, I'm but still confident in their reliability after they've been fixed!
Other common problems:
- Rear arm bushes knocking/perished.
- Cambelts need doing at 50k; a must or at 50,001 it will go bang.
- Needs undersealing or they will rot!
- Brake judder/warpped discs.
Bought the car for just 2 grand; admittedly it needed an alternator and had starter motor faults, but was worth it, as despite it being a great looking car and the faults I had, it is actually a very reliable car!
Only being a non-mivec v6 with no mods done to it, it pulls quite nicely when you need it to! Mine is a semi-auto, which you do get used to, but I would like to try a manual due to the fact that you do have to let it wind up a bit before the power comes in, when I think a manual would give you bit more enjoyment!
As for the handling, it's not too bad... push it a bit and it'll start understeering obviously.
I replaced the front brake pads for green stuff ones. They are definitely recommended; I was really surprised at the performance when warmed up!
As for modifying, mine has still got the standard exhaust, but FTOs are renowned for sounding awesome with a good system there. A de-cat and mongoose from eBay.
At first I didn't really like interior, but it grew on me after a while. The cloth seats are OK; not really comfortable, and the Japanese CD player might not like copied CDs, but has got aux port for iPod etc!
Love the climate control; the display looks very 2008 for 1996!
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 21st February, 2008