1989 Mitsubishi Galant Reviews - Page 2 of 2

First year of ownership1990
Distance when acquired20000 miles
Most recent distance207000 miles
Previous carNissan 300ZX

Summary:

Great deal, but I would go for a newer one!

At 150,000 miles I had the engine rewired.

At 203,000 miles my radiator blew up in a drive-thru. Cost me about $200 to fix with used parts.

Right now it needs a new axle, but other than the mechanic says its in great shape.

It has this luxury feature of vibrating and making loud baning noises (of course that could be the hammer the mechanic left under the hood.)

General Comments:

It is about ready for the dump I think. Great car if you take good care of it (unlike me)!

Review Date: 4th May, 2003

1989 Mitsubishi Galant GSR 2.0 DOHC from Australia and New Zealand

First year of ownership1989
Engine and transmission 2.0 DOHC Automatic
Previous carMitsubishi Galant

Summary:

Great car, pity it was dropped for Oz

Very little at all. The car has had an intermittent squeal from the rear discs when reversing since new. No one has been able to entirely eliminate that I also had the previous model Galant GSR bought 12 months old. It had a timing belt bearing failure while at the dealer's workshop waiting for the bearing, the entire cost of which Mitsubishi and the dealer shared. Good back-up. The first owner hauled a horse float!

General Comments:

The car has been exposed to Australian sun - still looks great.

Still gets "nice car, what is it?" comments after all these years.

Upholstery, (woven fabric) is in good shape and the hatchback is excellent.

Handles well, goes very well on premium and shows no sign of engine wear.

Review Date: 16th March, 2003

8th Aug 2003, 04:42

I have to agree with the author. I also have a Galant GSR 1989 model - I am its second owner. The car was bought new by some guy in Benalla in country Victoria - I bought it when it had 50,000km on the clock, back in 1995. The car now has 204,000km and still looks great. The engine still loves to rev to 7,000rpm.

Problems:

- ECS (electronic suspension) packed it in at 201,000km...worn shock absorbers resulting in scrubbed rear tyres. Replaced ECS with normal suspension (as per the normal SE model)

- had to replace brake pads and rotors twice (could be my driving style...)

- CV joints replaced @ 180,000km

- new clutch @ 120,000km

- rocker cover gasket @ 195,000km.

Inside is still in mint condition, given the car is a daily driver. Fuel economy is pretty good for a 14-year old car... about 7.4l/100 highway cycle, 9.5 city cycle.

About to put in sports suspension and strut braces...

Why did Mitsubishi Motors ever drop this car? Whatever happened to the legendary DOHC engines? I love my new Lancer, but I have kept the Galant.

22nd Sep 2004, 13:37

I'm a big fan of the Galant. I have a 1989 four-door with the SOHC engine. Mitsubishi did not sell in Canada until 2002, however Chrysler sold selected models through its dealers. The Galant was known here as the 2000 GTX. Clever, huh? Every time it goes for service, they always ask for the model. When I tell them, they say: "I thought you said it was a 1989." And so on.

Mechanically, the car has been very good - except for one persistent problem. The engine is always dripping oil from some orifice. The car presently has 215,000 km. The bottoms of all the doors are starting to rust, finally. Body integrity has been excellent, compared to similar Honda and Toyota models of the same vintage. Just had the CV axles changed.

The SOHC engine only makes 102 hp, but the 5-speed wrings every pony out of it. I run premium Pirellis (I learned a long time ago not scrimp on rubber). The factory alloys still look good.

The Galant, particularly this generation (1989-93), was a very well-engineered car. I STILL can't justify replacing it with a newer model. What am I going to get? A Primera? It's too small by comparison. Most 4-cyl cars are. That's what I like about the Galant: it's big where it counts, and is still cheap to run. I've got two more years to enjoy it until the environmental cops haul me in at renewal time. Mark.

1989 Mitsubishi Galant GSR 2.0 DOHC petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.0 DOHC petrol Manual
Previous carMitsubishi Cordia

Summary:

Solid car if in good condition, expensive to repair otherwise

Engine lunched itself at 249000km's, no warning. Probably dropped a valve, but mechanic couldn't tell for sure. Timing belt still intact. Replaced engine with Japanese import.$1900AUS fitted.

Electronic suspension failed, replaced with second hand suspension, non adjustable. $250 fitted.

Steering rack replaced. $250 fitted.

Exterior paint is cracking and getting dull, roof and bonnet only.

General Comments:

The car is good to drive, responsive enough and good on fuel. Having now replaced the engine etc I shall probably keep it for a few more years or until I win lotto and then I will push it off the nearest cliff.

Interior is in good condition, plastic holding up well to the Australian sun, pity about the paint.

Review Date: 18th June, 2002

22nd Sep 2005, 00:25

I agree with the paint on the 89 galant. The paint on the bonnet of mine is showing signs of sun-damage, but it is a 16 year old car so that is to be somewhat expected.

1989 Mitsubishi Galant GLSi 2.0i from UK and Ireland