1997 Mitsubishi Mirage Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR 1.6 DOHC MIVEC from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 1.6 DOHC MIVEC Manual
Previous carNissan Sentra

Summary:

Great bang for the bucks!

Randomly my dash lights stopped working after my power steering belt snapped doing 110kmh around a sweeper bend... exciting stuff though...

General Comments:

This car, for how inexpensive it is, is unbelievably quick.

Timed the car doing a 7.1 second 0-100kmh run (0-62mph) with only basic modifications!

Great interior, MOMO steering wheel, Recaro racing seats, short shift gearbox, white dials, good speakers.

I4 and V6 slayer; haven't really raced a turbo yet, so looking forward to that!

Review Date: 7th August, 2007

10th Feb 2010, 18:41

Don't bother racing a turbo, it will beat you. Try racing a Vtec or Type R.

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage MODARC 1.5 from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 1.5 Semi-Automatic
Previous carMitsubishi Lancer

Summary:

A great little go kart, which puts a smile on your face

Idle control motor was faulty soon after purchase; covered under dealers second hand warranty. Motor would stall at traffic lights.

HT Leads were worn and needed replacing, due to misfire under load.

Rocker cover seems to have developed a small leak; possibly needs a new gasket as it has been re torqued by dealer in past.

Oxygen sensor not cycling correctly. It will work intermittently, but doesn't have a great effect on performance. Sometimes will run a little rich.

General Comments:

I purchased this car in late 2004 and it has served me well. It comes standard with a 1500 EFI DOHC 16 V Motor. This is hooked up to a four speed tiptronic transmission and is front wheel drive.

Since owning the vehicle I have replaced the factory sound system with a Pioneer Head unit and speakers, which is much better than the factory version.

I have also upgraded the tyres to Firestone Firehawkes, which are superb tyres in the wet over the factory Bridgestones.

I also fitted a towbar (not for huge boats!!), and have been running it on 98 octane fuel.

The headlights and fog light bulbs were replaced with Narva Arctic White bulbs, which has given slightly better night visibility.

So far this car has been a great little run around, which sees of much larger cars in both straight line performance as well as handling.

Fuel consumption on the open road averages 6.0L/100 KM, while in town you can expect 7.5-8.0L/100km.

Negatives: The air conditioning drains much of the cars power, especially up hill.

The car lacks torque, so you really have to nail your over-taking moves carefully to get the most from the engine.

Brakes are very easy to overheat after several hard applications.

Carrying passengers really hurts the car's performance.

Review Date: 6th July, 2007

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage LS 1.8L from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Engine and transmission 1.8L Automatic

Summary:

This is a great first car that is reliable

My uncle owned the car before I did, but from what he tells me there has been nothing wrong with it. He has had to replace the timing belt at around 60000 miles, but that's about it. Manufacturing is a little cheap, but livable.

General Comments:

I loved this car. Sadly someone rear-ended me and totalled it. Great first car, good on gas. I got upwards of 30 miles to the gallon.

This car had a lot of "pep" and had nice acceleration despite its small engine.

Review Date: 29th March, 2006

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DE Coupe 1.5L from North America

Year of manufacture1996
First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 1.5L Automatic
Previous carMitsubishi Mirage

Summary:

Reliable, under-rater, quick little sport and economy car.,

Nothing has ever gone wrong with my mirage. All I do is the basics.

General Comments:

This little 1.5L engine is the best economy car I've ever seen. It says to get 38 mpg highways and 32 mpg city, but I blew that out of the water.

On a trip to New Hampshire my dad figured out the gas mileage it got and it was around 45 miles to the gallon!!! Unbelievable.

I got this car from my dad when I got my license. The car is very peppy, its not to great from a dead stop, but once those RPM's get up that car moves for a SOHC 4 cylinder engine. The car sticks to the road like glue.

The Corolla and the Civic are good cars too and my family owns a Civic EX and I've driven a corolla and I like all three, but theres just something about that car I love.

The interior is in great condition besides wear on the driver seat. That isn't that bad and everything else is perfectly intact. It's very comfortable for such a cheap car.

I can't find this car in the US anymore at the dealer or the American Mitsubishi website and it's a real shame cause I'd buy it again if mine ever goes. Mitsubishi needs to advertise it more cause it's a great car and civic lovers will love this.

Mitsubishi needs to bring it back with my body in particular with a nice sport kit and turbo like in the old days for all the ricers out there.

Review Date: 17th May, 2005

22nd Sep 2007, 03:29

Mitsubishi just got rid of the name Mirage, now the cars have been switched to the name LANCER. For a while they had Lancer as a special package option, and then eventually dropped Mirage and kept Lancer. So don't be sad, because if you upgrade in the future, the Mirage is still there for you and has more power and better performance than ever before :D.