2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 3.5 from North America

Reliable, safe and comfortable family hauler with tremendous off road capability

Front pads and rotors at 150k.

IAC motor at 170k.

Rear sway bar link at 170k.

General Comments:

This is by far one of the most underrated cars on the road. I wish they still sold them in the US.

This thing is big. Rides great. Rock solid and a beast when the roads are bad. Very safe for the family. It uses some oil, but they all do. Keep an eye on it and it won't let you down.

Recently the water pump went out on me driving at 70 MPH. By the time I realized what had happened, this thing was HOT. This is no fault of the car. I had the water pump replaced right after I bought it. Apparently the shop used an inferior pump. It happens. We are fixing it now because my wife refuses to let it go.

If you get a chance to own one, do it. You can get them at reasonable prices. And don't confuse these with the smaller Montero Sport. They are reliable also, but these go above and beyond.

Review Date: 27th July, 2015

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 3.5 liters from North America

Very good vehicle

General Comments:

This car is reliable. I didn't change the iridium spark plugs and transmission fluid. I just maintained the oil change. And until now it is running good.

However, I called for the 65K and timing belt service and they are not chip to begin with, it is around $1200.00.

Also the iridium spark plugs are running at $400.00 for all six.

Review Date: 26th April, 2005

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Ltd from North America

Buy a used one and be satisfied

Washer fluid pump had to be replaced at 51K miles.

General Comments:

I love this truck.

The gas mileage is bad and the acceleration isn't great. If you want better gas mileage you shouldn't be buying an SUV anyway. The ride is very comfortable and the cabin noise is non-existent as long as the sunroof is closed. The acceleration is not 4-cyl bad, but not very good for a V6.

I bought used - 20K below new price.

Review Date: 15th December, 2004

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 3.5 from North America

A solid SUV that has been bulletproof

Front brake pads at 45,000 miles.

Rear brake pads at 70,000 miles.

General Comments:

This is an extremely reliable SUV that goes almost anywhere.

It is rattle free and the unibody construction gives it a very solid feel on the road.

However, I wish the motor was a little smoother and had more power.

Review Date: 16th September, 2004

21st Jun 2005, 09:40

I, too, have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS. While the vehicle has performed admirably, I have 101,000 miles on it, the accessories leave much to be desired. In particular, the wheel cover. Mine is cracked and peeling, on a 2001 vehicle? Is this common to this vehicle and is the manufacturer recalling them? The fender covers also tend to dent and chip relatively easy. I have numerous chips on all four fenders. I do love the style and performance of this vehicle, overall, but their should be better accessory quality.

David Guzman

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS V6 3.5 200hp from North America

A solid truck with cheap accessories!

The CD changer broke at 43000 miles.

The sunroof linkage broke at 41000.

The wheel cover faded and cracked at 43000.

Passenger side window going out at 44000.

General Comments:

The engine is solid, could be a little faster. The accessories are not built to last like cd changer, sunroof, power windows.

Review Date: 18th May, 2004

2001 Mitsubishi Montero LTD from North America

Never Again!!

Brakes replaced 3 times in 1 1/2 years.

CD player blew within a year.

Lifters shot in close to 3 years replaced them (not covered under warranty) engine still ticking.

Replaced engine block within 3 years, engine still ticking.

Replaced lifters again (now within 2 weeks) Lets see what happens. Truck currently in the shop for 9 weeks, and I'm paying for a rental.

General Comments:

I will never again purchase a Mitsubishi. The service is horrible. Not only is the Montero truly overpriced, but it isn't worth it. I've had nothing but problems from day one. It may look good from the outside but remember..never judge a book by it's cover! Good Luck out there.

Review Date: 29th December, 2003

23rd Apr 2005, 17:57

I own a 2001 Montero Ltd. I purchased it new. I have kept up all service due for the vehicle since I had the vehicle. It is a reliable vehicle and never had a problem with it. I also purchased the extended warranty. I only paid my $100 deductible on repair that could have cost me $600.00. I only have 53,000 miles. In my opinion, Mitsubishi made a good product.

19th Jul 2005, 20:48

Great vehicle. I have maintained it regularly and on schedule. Have over 100,00 miles and no problems other thatn normal maintenance: brakes, tires, and battery.

Had one prior to this without any problems. Would recommend to any one.

2nd Feb 2008, 00:01

I purchased a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited new. During my ownership, I never experienced any out of the ordinary problems. I had all minor and major check ups on time at the dealer.

The engine does need a margin more oomph. (Nissan has a 3.5 engine churning out 300 hp without charging it.)

Interior quality could use some advice from Honda, but satisfactory for the moment.

OE brakes and tires can last up to 65,000 miles if you drive conservatively.

This Mits vehicle is our family's eighth. All previous models performed reliably and up to satisfactory levels.

Summary: Keep your Mitsubishi maintained, and it will run like a loyal Golden Retriever.

27th Jul 2015, 19:34

The 3.5 in the Nissan SUV is 240 HP. Not 300. Plus the Nissan is a lot lighter than the 7 passenger Montero.

23rd Aug 2015, 03:09

That's not what he said; he mentioned horsepower compared to displacement. The VQ35DE he mentions produces over 300 BHP in the 350Z, the Infiniti G35 coupe, the M35 and the FX35. He never compared it to the Pathfinder, Altima and Murano; all of which produce 240 BHP.

He never compared it to the much lighter and better geared Pathfinder, or for that fact, acceleration.

Lastly you proved his point: that for the same displacement size, configuration and cylinder count, the Mitsubishi is woefully underpowered.