2006 Mitsubishi Outlander Limited 2.4 from North America

Summary:

Highly recommend this as a family friendly SUV. Easy to drive, and easy on the pocket book

One tail light was retaining moisture, required replacement, $100.

General Comments:

This is one great car! Bought used to replace my wife's Lexus, totaled in an accident. The quality of the car was very evident after a short test drive. The car, being a 4 cylinder, is a bit buzzy at full throttle, but the transmission is very well suited for the power available. Once up to speed, the car is quiet and the road noise is dependent on the tires and road surface.

The interior is well thought out; there's even an analog clock on the dash! The Limited has heated leather seats and they are comfy for the average height driver. My son, 6'4", has no problems with head or legroom. Back seat head and legroom is generous. Rear seat backs adjust for inclination as well as drop down for cargo room. Under the rear cargo area is more storage. Child seat tethers are installed.

All the usual bells & whistles to be expected. Cruise control is very accurate, even up inclines. The steering is precise and very nice over a long trip. Brakes are super responsive and very powerful. Found this out when the car in front of me swerved to avoid an object on the freeway and I didn't have the luxury of a clear lane beside me. I hit the brakes hard and the car slowed down rapidly and with complete control.

The only interior items I would improve on are the 3 switches for the A/C, rear defrost and the recirculate, clustered in the center console. They each have a small LED that is very difficult to see in the daytime. I constantly have to lean over to see or shade with my hand. If the switch would stay recessed when on, I could just tell if it was on or not.

AWD is fabulous. It is constant and not computer controlled. No internal slippage is ever felt. No binding or chattering.

Power wise I would have liked a V6, but it does well with just a couple of people on board. Load it up with people and gear and you do notice that the 4 cylinder is working to get it up to speed. Downshifts happen often when loaded and a slight incline is encountered.

Fuel mileage is less than I had hoped for, about 20-21 MPG in town. Once on the highway it jumps to around 28-30 MPG.

Overall I believe the Outlander is an excellent choice for a "round town runner" and highway. Not so much as a pack mule. Reliability is paramount for me as I want to be able to trust a vehicle to start, go and bring me back home. Total cost has been very reasonable; oil changes, a set of front brake pads, a timing belt at 160,000 KM and that's all.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2014

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4L gasoline from Kenya

Summary:

Excellent

Nothing much. Just 2 small tie rods that got worn out (I assume they were worn out when I purchased it) that just cost me about $15 to fix.

Other than normal servicing, the car has been totally expense free on maintenance to my surprise.

On my trip to the service pit, the mechanic told me to change the CVT gearbox oil quite often, as this extends its lifespan.

General Comments:

The car is awesome for the family and has enough ground clearance to handle a camping vacation. The 4-wheel drive shift-wheel is also quite practical, and it gets you out of sticky situations quickly, especially in lock mode. It has amazed me with its handling and fuel consumption; it almost rivals my wife's Toyota's 1.5L saloon.

It's also a beauty, and they are rare here, which I think is attributed to unreliability from former Mitsubishi models. I can't believe I have had it for a year with only a visit to the mechanic for a minor gripe for a car this old. This is definitely not the last Mitsubishi will hear from me.

Review Date: 29th August, 2014