2001 Mitsubishi Pajero DiD full options 5 door LWB 3.2 from Italy

Summary:

Brilliant, fun, go anywhere, luxury SUV 4x4

There was a recall on the brakes; they worked but made a strange sound. I'd fixed the problem, but could not reclaim the money, pressure ball needed replacement.

Fuel tank needle gives false info; I think I need to replace the in tank float.

Temp sensor goes weird from time to time; that's a fault with the chip behind the dash clocks, which is replaceable. It doesn't bother me that much as it only happens now and then.

The oil sensor leaks oil as it gets old; costs less than €10.00 and an hour to change it due to its restricted location.

The rear light cable needs replacing as they oxidize; a very easy job to do with plug and play cables.

Wheel bearing needs replacing a bit too often, and the originals are much better quality than the after market ones, as are the CV joints.

Everything else, no problem.

The gear box (automatic), never changed the oil or filter, now 280k and still working fine. The oil still smells and looks good.

General Comments:

I can't fault this 4x4; it's an SUV for on and off road, and does it well. Drove from Italy to Ireland, kept it there for 2 years and drove it back, spent time in many cities in Italy, resting in Sardinia with me now.

Still going strong, some general maintenance needed like shocks, but that's to be expected. Some bushings need to be done too.

Love this car; it's full leather with half wood finish. I found it very good on long drives and at 2800m above sea level.

I'd buy the new model, but it looks less masculine. So I plan to do a complete rebuild with a brand new engine, and replace all the suspension bushes and a full gear box rebuild too. I'll spend €15k on it to make it new again. I just think from new it's going to last me my lifetime.

So much space inside the LWB 5 door. And at least the seats are real leather, not like the BMW's fake stuff.

Review Date: 31st May, 2015

2001 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Pleasant jeep to own

4wd system is a mess with these. Extremely expensive to get it fixed (check and double check before buying).

Hard on brake pads and discs.

The 3.2 DiD engine is heavy, which does in the wheel bearings.

Seats are uncomfortable.

Engine is very very loud.

Driver's side dash is a bit dated.

General Comments:

Plenty of power for pulling.

Extremely reliable.

Nice big sunroof in it.

It's no BMW X5, but it's a step up from the Trooper.

Only thing to watch for when buying, is the flashing orange light in the dash from a faulty 4wd system. Put it into 4wd and floor it. You want to hit 60mph for a few miles to make sure it's OK. p.s. 4wd is designed to be left on on these.

Review Date: 22nd June, 2011

2001 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2L from Sweden

The engine stops irregularly; sometimes I can drive 2000 km and other times only 10 km. When this happens, I just start it again and drive on...

Nothing can be found on the computer.

Otherwise, I love the car and it has served me well for 250000 km, and most of that time pulling a trailer.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2007

2001 Mitsubishi Pajero GLX 3.2 turbo diesel from Israel

Summary:

Really Strong, "almost" perfectly comfortable,

Well, this is my fault. I've switched to 4HHC mode (Locked AWD) while driving fast by mistake, this was enough to burn some chips inside there. Repairing cost was $600.

General Comments:

I like it, but if you've read my Volvo 850 T5 review you'll know why I won't buy another car from Mitsubishi or even another SUV, because I prefer sport sedans.

Comfort is well enough, but some points I don't like about comfort features:

1) No electric seats.

2) Seats aren't really so soft.

Also what I was shocked is that they've removed the balance ball that was available in the cockpit in earlier models.

Engine and performance are really nice for a diesel engine, and fuel economy isn't that bad, really. (I haven't made my test for mileage yet)

Offroad performance is outstanding, actually I go to fields down my town often to play around with this thing, it's really the "King of desert". But the only thing I'd have suggested to guys at Mitsubishi was to raise the body two more inches up the ground.

Parking this vehicle is easy, it's really simple and straightforward compared to other 7-seat SUVs.

Review Date: 14th January, 2006

15th Jul 2006, 04:40

After reading through your Pajero review I was confused as to why you said you would not buy another Mitsubishi again. This is in view of the fact that you pretty much praised the car.

Subsequently, I went and found your Volvo T5 review. You said that by reading that review, we would understand why you would not buy a Mitsubishi again. Your Volvo T5 has suffered:

"Gearbox is dying, reverse noisily slips.

Front side, back reverse left and two spoiler lamps failed.

Trip odometer failed.

ABS system failed."

In addition to the failures your Volvo has incurred, you also failed to state what was so wrong with your Mitsubishi that you would not buy another one again. If you are going to attack a manufacturer, at least provide a reason.