1979 Mitsubishi Sigma Astron 2.0 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Fun but expensive

It was good until about 200k, then it was one thing after the other. Needed a new motor, clutch, roof lining, rust, oil leaks etc.

General Comments:

It hammered. I used to beat most Holden 6's, and quite a few V8's that I suspected were out of tune.

Review Date: 13th October, 2011

1979 Mitsubishi Sigma GE Station Wagon SE 2.0L petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A cheap and reliable runabout with potential

To the previous owner's credit little in the way of problems have risen in this car.

*Differential noise (barely noticeable) - although fairly common in a car this age.

*Tappet noise under load/high revs - however can be fixed quite easily.

General Comments:

Considering the car's age, the Sigma is an excellent vehicle. Its one elderly ownership and log-book history makes it an excellent buy for the purchase price of $900 unregistered. It is quite roomy.. good for long-distance driving, however the vinyl seats can become quite uncomfortable on a hot day.

Performance is adequate for everyday driving, but not for the rev-head (in automatic trans./2.0L combination anyway) with some work it can become quite a sleeper. The only modification I have is a 2.25" sports exhaust system and it has a noticeable increase in performance/fuel economy.

Rust is usually the killer in the Australian Sigmas, luckily, this particular car has only a few non-structural spots, which can be easily repaired.

I love my 'StigmaWagon' even if it is compromised in the way of performance. Purchase one if you are in need of a cheap, reliable runabout or want some cheap thrills.

Review Date: 30th June, 2003

1979 Mitsubishi Sigma GL 2.0 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Nasty beast

Very rusty in tailgate and around front wheel arch

Dashboard has fallen apart

Has a rust hole in the floor

Engine blows smoke, suspected leaking oil around the piston rings

Transmission synchronization has failed between first and second gears

Nasty click in drive train

Drivers door doesn't open from the inside.

General Comments:

This car is a nasty beast for driving on a property. Despite being thrashed for 3 years the engine still goes well and only blows minimal amounts of smoke. Suspension has coped well with pot holes and the like and hasn't fallen apart yet. Has hit several trees and come off the better of the two. Seats are uncomfortable and the position the front seats are too close to the back ones.

Review Date: 13th June, 2003

13th Jun 2003, 05:58

Well what else did you expect? Not many people who spend years thrashing their car is going to give much of a stuff about the body, rust etc, are they?

If its as rolled and bowled as it sounds it's probably up the eyeballs in bog (hence the rust).

1979 Mitsubishi Sigma GE SE 2.0 Astron from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A cheap, comfortable, reliable car

Transmission didn't select neutral or drive. Got it reconditioned.

Very light rust on body.

Engine leaks oil and blows smoke.

General Comments:

The best thing I've done so far was replacing the coil with a high performance one from Bosch. I can now do 50 kilometers extra on a full tank, not to mention a bit extra power...

Car is in pretty good condition and never broke down on me, besides the problem on the gearbox. And I do thrash it a bit...

Review Date: 22nd November, 2001

23rd Jan 2002, 20:32

I also owned one of these, SE sedan. The only problem I ever had with it was that it just hated Bosch plugs. 2000km from a set was about it. If I left it out of the garage over night it wouldn't start. I replaced the plugs with NGK's and it never missed a beat. I had the car for 4 years and thrashed it and bashed it (maybe not bashed), sold it and I still see it driving around. Some times I wish I had kept it!!!