2008 Nissan Altima S Sedan 2.5 from North America

It was awesome, but do your homework

Passenger rear TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) valve broke off when I was getting new tires put on. The shop said it was seized in place.

A ticking sound when the car was idling, but I never took it in. I believe the valves probably needed to be adjusted.

A slight whine/humming sound from the tranny while I was driving.

General Comments:

One of my first "new cars". I got it when I got back from the Afghanistan. I needed a car, but my choices were limited because of my bad credit. It was either a Honda Civic, a Nissan Sentra or the Altima. I picked the Altima because it was roomy, classy looking, and fuel efficient.

I loved the car, but due to a divorce, and getting out of the military and not being able to find a good paying job, I had to let the car go.

I drove from NC to GA, then to CA on one trip, and back to NC. The best mileage I got out of a tank was 620 something miles, somewhere in TX during the night. In Oklahoma, my GF and I were caught in a tornado. I thought that little car was gonna get picked up and dropped off in another county. But the car did amazing during the nasty weather.

About every 3k-4,500 miles I changed the oil. I replaced the filter once or twice. I wanted to change the transmission fluid, but the dipstick required a special tool that the dealership had. $100 to check your transmission oil. So I never bothered with it. A valve stem broke off and the dealership was charging me $250 to replace it. Go on eBay and buy one for $25. Take it to a tire shop, they'll put it on for $5-15.

The car was quick, and it handled pretty damn good. On my way back to NC, I was driving through TN/NC and there was a yellow Ferrari (360 Spider) zipping through the mountains. I was able to keep up with it, till my GF told me to back off. For a family car loaded with suitcases in the back seats and trunk, it did well.

I love the gauges on the dashboard; the outside temperature to the 3 different MPG readings you get. I usually drove with the instant MPG (the one with the sliding bar). The push start button was cool, it was a reminder of my dream truck, the Ram SRT10. The level of quality for the speakers was amazing. Radio reception was one of the better ones I've driven. The aux was a really neat feature that I always liked. The antenna is part of the rear window defrost. My car did have a moonroof, but it never leaked.

The 2.5 engine with the CVT trans is a great combo. On my way to work (60 miles there), I used to hold the gas pedal at 2,000-2,300 RPM and the speed would pick up. I really like that feature. Best short distance MPG was 44 something MPG. I did buy a vacuum gauge, and had it sitting on the column. I did experience torque steer in the rain every now and then.

My monthly payment was over $500/month when I had it. When I was getting a steady paycheck, it was completely worth it. It never left me stranded, and I always got complaints for it.

I recommend caution if buying an Altima of this year. From what I noticed, it's usually the "poor people" that get these cars and skip on maintenance. I'm in a better financial point that I would buy a newer one to avoid years of abuse and neglect.

Review Date: 9th August, 2015

2008 Nissan Altima from North America

Very solid car

Left the radio and lights on, but the motor off for about 20 minutes, and the battery died.

General Comments:

I really like this car. I never had a small sporty car before. This car is sporty and a bit of luxury also. Fun to drive and very quick.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2012