2013 Nissan Altima S 2.5L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Not up to snuff

There were no reliability issues with this car for the time that I had it.

General Comments:

I drove the 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S as a rental for one week. My experience with it left me with a strong enough impression that I wanted to write a review for the car, even though I was not the owner.

There were three things that I liked about the car. It cornered very well. Hugged the road like a sports car. It got very good gas mileage. I averaged well over 30 in mixed city and highway driving. The base stereo sounded very good. Clear treble and solid bass.

Everything else about the car was a disappointment. Overall it felt insubstantial and flimsy. The engine, while quick, was very noisy for a car in this class. The doors closed with a cheap sound and feel.

The transmission probably helped it achieve its high mileage, but it pushed the engine to such low RPM so quickly that the engine routinely rumbled and shook. This seemed VERY unrefined for a new car.

There was too much road noise. I was driving on nice and smooth highways, and there was still a constant rumble.

Overall, I was not impressed. I recently shopped for a new mid-size car for myself, and settled for a model that felt much more solid, refined and pleasant. And it costs no more money than a new Altima.

I truly didn't expect this Nissan to feel like an oversized economy car, but that's essentially what it was.

I would not recommend it to anyone looking for a new car - there are better options out there for the money.

Review Date: 26th February, 2013

15th Mar 2013, 09:52

Do not buy an Altima!! My 2013 Altima is unable to maintain a steady engine RPM. At idle it drops until the engine shakes, and then brings it back up. Dealer says there is no recall because it's not a safety issue. It's a defect that hasn't been resolved after 5 months yet.