1987 Nissan Maxima Reviews

Engine and transmission 3.0 6 cylinder Automatic
Distance when acquired203000 miles
Most recent distance205000 miles
Previous carDodge D150

Summary:

Best $800.00 commuter car I ever had

Master power windows switch needs replacing; only the driver's window works.

Power locks don't work.

AC/heater fan only works on high.

Brake fluid reservoir cap gasket swollen and needs replacing.

Radio is old and hard to operate.

General Comments:

For a twenty-five year old car, this old girl is quick and has a responsive steering/suspension setup.

It sits a lot lower than newer sedans, so you might feel like you're driving a sled, albeit a comfortable one.

Review Date: 6th December, 2012

1987 Nissan Maxima SE 3.0 from North America

Previous carNissan 1996 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport

Summary:

Excellent car!

Alignment redone recently-$30, will need new struts and another wheel bearing soon. Sun/moonroof leaks and will have to correct this problem. Also needs work done to air-conditioner. No other mechanical issues.

General Comments:

When I first purchased this car in August I was skeptical due to its age about its reliability. I was soon proven wrong. The car is very comfortable and fast. I fell in love with the car after driving it only once. Has pick-up as it uses the same engine as the 300ZX sports coupe.

This car is very advanced for its time and has features such as power windows, locks, power mirrors, seats, steering, cruise control, front AND rear window defroster, three options of suspension control and power sunroof.

Interior is immaculate, no cracks on dashboard, no tears or stains in seats. Car is seriously like-new condition to be 20 years old. I will be working to maintain and improve the current condition of the car. I do not intend to sell this vehicle.

Review Date: 20th October, 2007

1987 Nissan Maxima SE 3.0 gas from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 gas Manual

Summary:

Very comfortable, great pick up, lofty

Rack and pinion went out at 97000; 700 dollars to replace.

Passenger vents don't blow.

Power antenna does not work.

Sun roof leaks.

General Comments:

Powerful car, old but solid.

Have not had it for too long, but so far so good.

VERY roomy and comfortable.

I paid 2000 for it.

Gas is not too bad, but good for a 1987 V6.

A/C works! Not bad for a car that is 2 years older than I am.

Review Date: 11th September, 2007

1987 Nissan Maxima SE from North America

Year of manufacture1986

Summary:

A good starter car, and a good mod car.

I've had to replace the original starter.

I've also had a few issues with the fuel filter three times and modify it so it's easier to reach. When the gas level hits 1/4 left, the car acts up horribly until I put more gas in her.

She also does not have any AC, which in the hot TX sun, with a sunroof, can be a killer.

General Comments:

This car was my first car ever to own, and for being a 17 year old car, she's low mileage and very nice. From sitting for two years with her previous owner in Iraq on business, she's had a few issues, but rarely ever fails to get me from one point to another in town.

Review Date: 15th September, 2005

1987 Nissan Maxima Station Wagon 3.5 V6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 3.5 V6 Automatic

Summary:

A fun car to drive when the conditions are right!

The sunroof was great when it wasn't raining out. When it was raining out, however, the rain would leak in and stay in the roof only to come pouring on your head every time you hit the brakes!

The car was really fast and had great pick up until the shift from 3rd to 4th gear when... it just wouldn't do it sometimes! That right max speed about 40-45 about now unless you want to run at 5000 RPM.

Massive power steering fluid and oil leak. Not only did I have to keep buying a quart of each every 10 dollars in gas, but I left a hot trail to follow everywhere I went. It would also leak out when the car was sitting, so I couldn't park in anyones driveway.

General Comments:

Car was fast and a sleeper, especially with the back filled with groceries or laundry!

Review Date: 8th December, 2004

1987 Nissan Maxima SE 3.0 V6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Manual
Distance when acquired120000 miles

Summary:

More fun than a barrel of monkeys!!!

During the year or so I owned my Maxima, I didn't find many mechanical defects. The problems that did occur, I believe may have all been because of misuse by the owner (me).

The first and by far most painful problem with the car was when I used it to take out a horse fence on a country road. I had only had the car for about 2 weeks, and was just getting good with the manual transmission, so I took the car out on a windy country road to play. I spun out in a turn and hit the corner of a horse fence. The corner post I hit (it was about as big around as a telephone pole) did a lot of damage to the right rear end of the car. All of the suspension links on that corner were damaged, and I believe the brake rotor was somehow bent.

Because of the age of the car and my limited income (I was 16 at the time) I bent all the links back into shape, and reinstalled them. Remarkably, this method held together well, but was not near as good for the fast driving I tried to use the car for.

A few months later, when again traveling above the posted speed, I slammed on the brakes and the right rear locked up, causing me to spin and hit a mailbox. This incident busted out the triangular window in the right rear door. I replaced it with a piece of plexiglass from a home improvement store for under 10 dollars.

The transaxle, which the previous owner had replaced a few years before, gave out under my harsh driving habits also. Actually, the throw out bearing broke due to repeatedly "dumping" the clutch. This only cost about 20 dollars for a new one. The procedure though, took about 2 days to completely pull and reinstall the transaxle.

General Comments:

Even though I ran this car as hard as it could possibly be run, I never had any trouble with it that I didn't cause. The transaxle did get pretty sloppy as far as shifting goes, but I also take credit for that, as I don't think this would have happened under normal circumstances.

I was really impressed with the power and longevity of the 14 year old motor, and would quickly buy any other Nissan product with this motor (300zx, Pathfinder, Hardbody pickup).

I would recommend this car to any teenager looking for a first car that will be relativly inexpensive to maintain, and have plenty of room for friends, and plenty of power for street racing, though it is not fun to get speeding tickets (as this car helped me do twice).

Review Date: 24th February, 2003

17th Nov 2003, 19:11

Now I know why the age requirement for a driving license here in Europe is 18 years...

18th Feb 2004, 03:15

I have a 1987 Nissan Maxima that has always had a electrical problem that drains the battery. Can anyone help or suggest something?

I believe there is a short in the wiring harness at the battery terminal. Thanks, and please email me.

Steve H. foosballsteve@sbcglobal.net

14th Aug 2004, 00:09

Gee, dude, if I were the car, I would have left you stranded LONG ago. You should be arrested for Auto-abuse!