2002 Nissan Micra 1.4 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Cute, well designed city car. Escapes class distinction, which is a rarity

Needed a temporary second car, and bought the car off an absolutely stunning Ukrainian girl who was about 24... she was so stunning (shallow narcissism 10/10)... that I didn't check a single thing. 10 km down the road I was kicking myself... blown head gasket... ABS light coming on... vibration when pressing the brakes.... not good.

Got home after 3 stops to refill the radiator and proceeded to work out how to fix it as cheaply as possible.

ABS light was due to the front tyres being bald; the rear ones being brand new. New tyres fixed that one... no more ABS light.

Replaced head gasket on the original 1.2 motor and did a good job, but it blew again about 100 km later... obtained a very good second hand 1.4 motor and replaced the 1.2 motor over a weekend. Fantastic... what a transformation. The 1.4 is nice and peppy, and doesn't hate the hills like the 1.2, even if it's only a little bigger, plus it's good on gas... get about 37 MPG around town... 40 on a trip outside the city.

Good comfortable seats, and also good suspension for a small car... very practical body with good storage spaces, and nice, easy to read instruments.

Would like to change the gearbox though to a manual, not because the gearbox is bad or anything, but I think the 1.4 would shine even more with a manual 5 speed... may do it if I find an inexpensive wreck.

Brakes eventually stopped vibrating... may have had spots on them from sitting around... seem to be fine now.

Was going to move it on, but like the car so much I think I will keep it...

General Comments:

Well packaged car with class leading design for its time period... the newer car may be "improved" in some ways, but this has character, whereas the new model Micra doesn't make me want to own it.

Love driving it around the city. Small tank thou... another 5 litres or more in the gas tank and it would be almost the perfect small modern car.

Escapes that class distinction which only a small percentage of small cars manage to do... e.g. Citroen 2CV, VW Beetle, Nissan S Cargo, Renault 5 and Twingo, Toyota Echo... etc etc... Civics etc etc.

Parts are cheap and plentiful... and it's also fairly easy to work on after you buy a Haynes manual.

Review Date: 15th November, 2015

2002 Nissan Micra Tempest 1.0 from UK and Ireland

Good little first car, nippy around town

Speeds 1, 2 and 3 have gone on the fan.

Rear wipers need replacing regularly as they don't move across the rear screen easily as it is rounded.

General Comments:

Cheap to run.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2005

26th Nov 2005, 18:11

My Missus drives a Nissan Micra bought around the year 2000 & she too complains about the fan blower. It couldn't blow the seeds of'v a dandilion!

2002 Nissan Micra Tempest 1.0 16v from UK and Ireland

An inexpensive and reliable city car

General Comments:

The car is very nippy and quick from the lights considering that it's a city runabout.

The interior space is reasonable enough to carry 5 (small) adults, but not brilliant for large items.

It looks quite nice for a super-mini and beats the new model on the styling front.

The gearbox is fairly responsive, except reverse which takes several attempts.

It will never break the land speed record, but for a 1.0 it is fairly pleasant on the motorway.

Review Date: 5th April, 2004

2002 Nissan Micra Twister 1.0 from UK and Ireland

Great first small car

General Comments:

The car is very easy to drive for a first time owner like myself. Parking and inner-city driving couldn't be easier. The power steering is a god-send.

Performance is adequate for the size of car. Though you do notice the lack of power when carrying passengers.

The interior is simple and bright.

The added features such as colour co-ordinated trim and the remote central locking system are a bonus.

Review Date: 22nd October, 2002

2002 Nissan Micra S 1.0 Litre petrol from UK and Ireland

An excellent buy for the £6300 on the road price I paid

Slight drivers door wind noise.

General Comments:

Excellent build quality, absolutely no rattles or squeaks.

One litre engine more than adequate for both urban and motorway use.

Fuel economy very good obtaining in the high forties on a longer run.

Seats are very comfortable and the interior has an up market feel.

Ride quality is good for a small car, but this is not a sports car and rolls quite a bit on corners.

Review Date: 4th May, 2002

10th Apr 2003, 14:48

I fully agree with the comments. My 2002 micra s 1.0 is both reliable and performs well for a 1.0 litre. Many are surprised by its performance. My previous micra was the same too.

14th Dec 2008, 01:56

Well, I own a K11 with 1.5 diesel engine 2002 (I think it wasn't available in Britain).

I'm mainly satisfied with it, except its speeding up abilities. I remember when I had bought it, and was driving up the hill, behind a slow van, for a while.

When I got the chance to overtake, I stepped on the gas pedal and went for it. I didn't put the lever in the second gear, in spite of the low speed, but remained in the 3rd. What happened was that I was driving alongside the van at the same speed, for about 10 seconds. The van driver looked at me, as he was saying "What is this idiot doing?" And I desperately looked at him, saying "I don't know!"

And then my engine woke up, and we left the van behind.

You should keep that in mind, if you don't wish to be unpleasantly surprised when overtaking.