1991 Nissan Pathfinder SE V6 from North America

Summary:

Great car, but for the manifold issue

Exhaust manifolds replaced TWICE.

Passenger door lock relay replaced.

Rear window hatch pistons replaced - aftermarket.

Starter.

Alternator replaced.

General Comments:

EXHAUST MANIFOLDS. I've had this car since new and I've had the exhaust manifolds replaced twice - by the dealer - for free. How? I call the Nissan USA headquarters in Long Beach and hammer them relentlessly until they cave. And they will. My car has only 89500 miles on it and this is the third set of manifolds including the original. They are defective and there is a recall out, but they don't tell you. They will try and say that they'll only cover 96-97 models, but point out to them that that was he year they fixed the problem and this is the year they would have the least recalls. I'm original owner so that helps and the dealer - Connell in Oakland, CA is a very good dealer, but everyone with these manifold problems should - even if you're not original owner - contact Nissan and demand satisfaction. The car is a great car otherwise...

Review Date: 16th November, 2003

14th Aug 2007, 18:22

I have the same problem with the heat. Did you ever find out what it might be?

8th Mar 2011, 21:02

The heat travels up the transmission tunnel from the exhaust/ gearbox / engine and enters the cabin via the handbrake opening. It only does this if you have your windows down, or the sunroof open. This causes vacuum in the cab, and draws the heat up.

Solution is simple, turn on the fan to pressurize the cabin, i.e. select fresh air from outside, and heat or cool it by turning on the fan and forcing it into the cab. Since the cab is therefore at a higher pressure than the air under the vehicle, the heat will not travel into the gaps around the handbrake!

Happy days!

1991 Nissan Pathfinder 2.7 turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Very much underrated; great value for money

Water pump leaked at 100,000 kms and was replaced.

Alternator & battery replaced at 140,000 kms (not cheap!).

Rear hatch electric lock ($40 secondhand unit - easy to fit).

Consumables consistent with the vehicle's age i.e. brake disks/pads, tyres etc.

General Comments:

We bought this as a second vehicle, intending to use it as a workhorse.

Turned out to to be such a neat wagon that we use it as our main vehicle.

Tons of room for two people and any gear that we like to throw at it. Never seems to have any problems going where we want it to go, in rain, hail or sunshine; off road or on.

It is no sports car, but handles reasonably well for a 4X4 of this age. A bit more grunt would be nice at times, but the 2.7 is economical, flexible and so far appears to be bullet proof.

One thing, I am religious about maintenance; oil changes (5000 kms) and also had the transmission serviced, including fluid extraction and replacement, on purchasing the vehicle. So far no problems with the auto.

Thus far we have had no reason to want to replace it and suspect that we'll clock up another 100K before we do. There is a perverse pleasure to be derived from seeing people driving 4X4s that cost five times as much as a '91 Terrano. You just know that most of the purchase price is likely to have been added to their mortgage!

Review Date: 6th September, 2003

1991 Nissan Pathfinder SE V6 from North America

Summary:

The perfect all purpose, low cost SUV

I've had the 4x4 for 2 years and have put over 50,000 miles on it. I've never had big probems. The only thing I've done was replace the muffler and brakes, which are routine. It's great in the snow and ice; I usually end up pulling my friends out of the ditch.

General Comments:

Great car, would recommend it 100% to anyone.

Room for four adults and all their gear.

Review Date: 29th August, 2000

5th Jan 2001, 00:08

I too own a 1991 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 SE and I can second this opinion.

7th May 2001, 18:55

I own a 1991 king cab truck from nissan and it has 300,000 mls on it and runs like new, the best truck ever.

4th Jun 2001, 13:54

I purchased a 91 Pathfinder SE 3 years ago. It had 59k miles on it. Since then, I have replaced the alternator, battery, one front rotor, shocks, and timing belt (all routine). I did have to rebuilt the auto transmission at about 100k, though - which wasn't cheap. Today I have about 145k miles and it runs very well. My only complaint is the cost of certain replacement parts, such as the rear door shocks (which have worn out to the point they won't hold the door up beyond 2 feet) and the sun-roof shade (dealer quoted it at $172). Its somewhat under-powered compared to a Jeep Cherokee or even an Explorer, but it rides nice, is not too noisy inside, and has held up very well over the years. I get about 18mpg. Since I had to invest in a rebuilt transmission I will probably keep it until it no longer runs.

1991 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD V6 from North America

I bought this truck over a year ago and the only things I've had to fix were the starter and bought a new battery. In other words just general maintenance.

General Comments:

I absolutely love it. Has over 100,000 miles and I will keep it as long as it will have me.

Review Date: 29th June, 1998