1986 Nissan Sentra Reviews

Year of manufacture1985
Most recent year of ownership1990
Engine and transmission Manual

General Comments:

It was a great first car for me.

Handled very well on the NJ Turnpike. Kinda sluggish on takeoff, but has a little bit of umph to it.

The best thing about it was a really nice gas saver, being a manual transmission.

Review Date: 25th September, 2009

1986 Nissan Sentra 5 door Sprint 1.3 GL from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.3 GL Manual
Previous carPeugeot 106

Summary:

A great runner, will last for years!

The two front head lights blew while travelling on the dual-carriageway at night. due to the previous owner putting the wrong bulbs in. had to replace whole units.

Brakes failed going through a round-about.Only happened once... thank god!

3 windows will not wind down- due to lack of usage.

Leak in radiator- can't be bothered fixing.

Automatic choke is broken... have to press pedal to start.

General Comments:

This car is actually the best car I have ever owned. Even though it is like steering a 52 seater bus because there is no power steering it sticks to the road.

I bought the car for 250euros and it flew the NCT after lying up for nearly 2 years.

Not very good at going up hills and the engine screams over 65MPH, but it would run on the smell of petrol.

NO back seat belts, or fog lamps, 1 music speaker, but its everything you want in a car.

Parts are impossible to find and expensive to buy... so look after your car and it'll be a great friend.

Smokes more than a house on fire, but its fun watching pedestrians coughing and spluttering when driving through a town.

Very fast take off when you push it... but its not made for that..just cruise. for a car that's near 21 years on the road its fantastic!

Review Date: 13th February, 2007

1986 Nissan Sentra EX Wagon 1.6 Liter from North America

Year of manufacture1985
Engine and transmission 1.6 Liter Manual
Previous carMazda 626

Summary:

A cheap little car, with good gas mileage

Dashboard is falling apart.

New clutch at 175000 miles.

Hatch will not open.

Will not start in sub zero temperatures.

New CV boot on front left tire.

New muffler, but only because I went over a large bump and tore it off :)

General Comments:

This car is basic transportation at it's best. It stops, it starts, it's very reliable and gets great gas mileage 30 mpg city driving. The down sides is that it is ugly and that people taller than 6'2 or 6'3 will not be able to sit in the car without their head hitting the celing.

Review Date: 16th January, 2007

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission Manual
Distance when acquired120000 kilometres
Previous carFord Datsun

Summary:

Reliability Defined

Heater Core needed to be replaced at 130000 kms (10 years old)

Cv Joints noisy after run in with a 5 inch curb @ 30 km/hr.

General Comments:

I felt compelled to write a review on my first car I ever owned. I have owned many cars since my Sentra, but this car was the most reliable car I have owned. Engine never hesitated on startup, even in the cold Canadian winters, or after a long sit. Being a teenager, I bagged it hard and it maintained its tip top shape until it was my time to let her go.

Review Date: 30th January, 2004

10th Sep 2004, 09:17

My first car was also a 1986 Sentra. It was a four door hatchback, and I f I had known that all that was wrong with the car was the spark plugs, I would have kept it. It wasn't a pretty car, because when I bought it for 600 dollars, it had been sitting for about 5 years. I had it for nearly a year, then my father gave me a 1989 Stanza. I now have a 99 Sentra, but I have fond memories of my first car.

First year of ownership1986
Most recent year of ownership1988
Most recent distance12000 miles

Summary:

The worst car I have ever owned!

We replaced the PVC valve 3 times and had to replace the head gasket. The distributer cap also had to be replaced. the car was sluggish and would barley go up a hill. Nissan said it was our problem and they did not assist. The best day of our lives are when we sold the car barely a year and a half after we purchased it. We named it the blue lemon. We received no assistance from local regional national or international Nissan. I will never purchase a Nissan product again!

General Comments:

The car was underpowered and sluggish. You would have to wait for traffic to clear so you could cross an intersection.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2003

29th Mar 2004, 23:18

You actually have the nerve to get angry that you had to replace the PCV valve and distributer cap?! Those are wear parts buddy! A new PCV valve costs 5 dollars and takes 2 minutes to pop the old one out of the valve cover and pop the new one in, I have changed 10 on my car in 10 years, not because they have failed, but because they are SO cheap and a clogged one can cause hords of problems. As for the distributer cap, they are supposed to be replaced every tune up, which is every 25,000 miles for that car right? As for the head gasket, I know you let the car overheat (by not checking the coolant level or letting the radiator get clogged etc) so that was your fault too. So you had a perfectly well running car with NO problems or faults of its own, have some respect!