1970 Oldsmobile 98 LS from North America

Summary:

$500 Corvette Killer

When I first bought the 98 all it really needed was a new float for the Quadra Jet Carburetor. This cured a rich idle/diesel condition...Take Note I really Abused this car. Rebuilt the engine twice due to Drag Racing related piston damage. Second Time using Sealed Power Forged Pistons. Machine Work by Alan Halsey, (Yep, His Ganddad was Admiral "Bull"-"Haul Ass" Halsey!)...Made my own metering rods for the Q-Jet. The Car ran low 14's@100mph 1/4 mile. The only excessive wear after 3 Race seasons was a streached out timing chain. Rear Pinion Bearing got loud from not allowing lubricant to warm up before hitting the "Loud Pedal". Steering Box got excessively loose and steering was very stressful after a while. Actually got a "Performance Cam" from the local Olds Dealer.

General Comments:

Sold the engine in '99 to a guy with an Olds powered Jet Drive Boat for $600. He complained that I had told him the engine had Forged Steel? pistons. He actually had a mechanic check them with a magnet...Good Riddance...

Review Date: 29th March, 2004

1970 Oldsmobile 98 Luxury Sedan 455 cu. in. 4bbl from North America

Summary:

A powerful, solid, safe automobile

Nothing that prevented the vehicle from being used. Normal service items, battery, exhaust, radiator.

Rear axle developed a noise.

Original brakes lasted 92000 miles of highway use.

Replaced timing chain at about 122,000 miles.

General Comments:

This was an absolutely solid, well built North American tank. Car was handed down from my father who purchased it new. There were never any major problems with it, but it was involved in a few major collisions during its life, but was driven away from each one. These were severe enough to cause serious injury and require the jaws of life to rescue occupants from one of today's cars.

The car could only deliver about 12 mpg for around town driving. Acceleration was always sluggish until I discovered that the throttle linkage was not allowing the throttle to open fully. Once that was fixed, the car went like a bat out of hell. Ride, comfort and interior noise levels were not perfect, but acceptable for a car of its size and vintage.

This remains one of the most powerful cars I have ever had my hands on.

Fairly rust resistant for a car of its time. The safest, and most solid of all the cars I have ever owned.

Review Date: 13th February, 2004

1970 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible 455 from North America

Summary:

A surprisingly remarkable investment!!!

Miraculously, I have not had any major problem with the 98' Olds. Minor problems include, blown fuse for convertible top (has been replaced), and the factory air conditioner. Why worry, it's a convertible!!!

General Comments:

This car can and will out run any of the previous or current cars that I have acquired over the last 12 years. The powerful 455, four barrel, Quadra-Jet carburetor engine purrs like it was built to keep you on the highway. They made real cars back in those days.

It's awkward, but quite the attention getter. When I drive the convertible anywhere around town, especially to the beach, I get some of the most disturbing stares that anyone could ever want to witness. I don't know if they are looking at me or the car!! This is probably because my car is older than me by a couple of years and as big as a boat. As it has been called many times.

But she is the best vehicular investment that I have made in my life.

Review Date: 1st September, 2003

1970 Oldsmobile 98 455 from North America

Summary:

Getting respect!

Fuel pump.

General Comments:

I just love this big 2 doors boat. Heavy and powerful. I bought this car from a man who unfortunately became paraplegic and we keep in touch. It takes almost 3 Honda civic to have the same length of my big Oldsmobile. I own 2 other Oldsmobile, but this big one is my favorite (My girlfriend doesn't like it, but it's MINE!). the sound of an Oldsmobile 455 when you push on the gaz is awesome!!.wherever I go I can see people looking at it or hear them say. (My god it is so big!!). Gas consuming might be a problem, but the value it still gains over the years worth this enjoyable spending. I intend to keep this rocket engine in original condition since I have seen some with more than 300000 miles on it and keep running strong.. Long live to rocket engines!!wish they can still make cars like that again, I would buy another one on the spot!! or a delta 88..with a 455 indeed!!

Review Date: 1st October, 2002

13th Jul 2003, 23:28

Steve.

I love Oldsmobile 98 Luxury Sedans. My father and I owned a 1970 4-door Luxury Sedan and both just thought the car was terrific. I myself, love the rumble sound of an Olds 455 Rocket motor. Nothing seems to beat it! You know what I mean. Unfortunately, we had to get rid of the car.

I would love to be able to get a hold of a 1970 Olds 98 LS in great shape. The one we owned had every option you could imagine. In fact, my dad told me in 1970, The premium options used in the 98 were pre tested for use in the Cadillac. Behind the front seat, was a vanity lighted mirror with kleenex and towelette wipe holders for rear passengers.

Just wanted to let you know that you're right, the 455 rocket is the BEST.