1982 Oldsmobile Ciera Review

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.5L 4 Automatic
Most recent distance112000 miles
Previous carOldsmobile 1974 Cadillac Sedan de Ville

Summary:

I wish I still had it; it was an excellent and handsome car

Front struts went bad around 75,000 miles.

Original "mushy" brakes replaced at 30,000 with better quality pads and were much more satisfactory.

A/C compressor needed O-ring repair at 85,000 miles.

Transmission governor failed at 90,000 miles. Dealer diagnosed this as a bad hydramatic transmission, but I didn't accept that verdict. I took it to a Cadillac dealership and the service manager there said it was the governor, an 85 dollar part that took 5 minutes to replace.

Clear coat failed on hood, roof and trunk, so the paint didn't shine as much as it should have.

Other than the usual tires, belts and hoses, no other serious repairs.

General Comments:

I still miss this car. It came into the family in 82 when my mother purchased it new and provided excellent service for the next 19 years.

This car was quite luxurious in Jadestone Light with a matching interior made of thick, high-quality velour with deep pile carpeting. It was like a smaller version of a 98 Regency. The Broughams were trimmed out better than other Cieras and even had a different grille.

It drove well and the performance from the 4 cylinder engine was adequate if not exactly breathtaking. It was quiet and smooth on the highway and could go in any kind of weather with no problems. Economy was decent, usually 23 in local driving and 30-34 at steady highway speeds.

My mother drove it, my older brother drove it, I drove it, and it never let us down until another brother got it and his mechanic put too much oil in it and blew seals. The body (other than dull paint) and interior were still in great shape when our little Olds got parked.

Review Date: 21st October, 2007