1990 Opel Kadett GSi Superboss 2.0 16v from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A physics defying, thirsty, landbound rocket

Terrible problem with factory extractor welds failing on the exhaust header; required repeated weldups.

Faulty ignition barrel, did not disengage starter motor sometimes.

General Comments:

Wow. Simply wow. What can I say? I knew the guy who owned this car before, and for some reason he sold it. A year later I saw it sitting at the back of a workshop of a chap I knew; I offered him money on the spot, and took it there and then.

The car features a C20XE engine with a Coscast head, Schrick cams lumpier than grannys porridge, a nice sequential EFI system, vented discs up front, solid on the back, factory adjustable damping Bilsteins, Recaro seats with leather trim, a mild but appealing factory body kit. It had a rechipped ECU courtesy of a past owner back in South Africa, its ancestral home.

The car had such a rough lumpy idle; it would sit there pulsing and shaking like a mad thing. Pop it in gear and lay on the gas, and it just gunned off the line. I am dead serious when I say few cars could beat it in the straight line, and absolutely nothing came close when it was about corners! This car had an exemption from the laws of physics.

Unfortunately it used vast amounts of petrol. It was solely responsible for the recent increases in petrol costs, sorry everyone.

I sold it back to the original owner after he got in touch with me - I was sad to see it go, but it was costing me a fortune, and I know how much he loved the car, so off it went! Still miss it heaps though!

Review Date: 6th July, 2010

1990 Opel Kadett GL 1.6i from Serbia

Summary:

Not (too) bad a car, even after 18 years

Commutator at 138000.

The fuel injector at 145000.

General Comments:

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad car, it's just too old. It was probably great 18 years ago.

I'm not sure if it's time to renew the suspensions, or the car is just simply uncomfortable. It feels every bump on the road, which can be very annoying on longer trips.

Of course it is incredibly rust prone. Every few weeks I detect a new rust area.

I had a few situations when I could not start it in the winter time.

Despite all the annoying things, it has never ever let me down on the road.

Review Date: 5th May, 2008

1990 Opel Kadett LS 1.3 Carb from Finland

Summary:

Definitely a good investment

Rust spots showed up here and there.

The carburettor (Pierburg 2E3) developed some intermittent faults (pretty hard to locate).

General Comments:

Pros:

A good deal for a "my first car".

Handles very well.

Starts well, regardless of outdoors temperature.

Good fuel economy (6.2-7 l/100km).

Almost maintenance-free engine. Very quiet, too.

Cons:

Some carburettor problems (on carburettor models) are hard to locate and fix. Also, carb gives erratic cold engine idling.

Dieseling (running-on) seems quite frequent in these engines.

Dashboard and underneath elements develop a concerto of rattling noises.

Review Date: 13th August, 2004

1990 Opel Kadett Beauty 5 door 1,4i from Germany

Summary:

A good bloke

The head gasket blew at 104,000km. I was lucky to have a second hand car warranty, which paid for most of the bill.

A new catalytic converter was fitted at 132,000km.

The central unit of the engine management had to be replaced at 144,000km.

Apart from this there was some usual wear and tear like tires, shock absorbers and a battery.

General Comments:

I'm still impressed by the fuel economy and the large boot.

Equipment is generous (sun roof, metallic paintwork, tinted glass, velour upholstery etc).

The service at the local Opel dealer couldn't be better.

Unfortunately the Kadett is very prone to rust (above all at the rear arches and the boot lid). I've already paid more than DM 1,300 on measurements against rust.

The suspension could be more comfortable.

In my eyes the Kadett is still a good choice if you are looking for a cheap family hatchback.

Review Date: 28th April, 2001

7th Jan 2003, 15:10

The data you provide is very good.

No pictures, though! - I would have enjoyed seeing the car I was reading about!

30th Jun 2005, 17:05

Y would have liked to see some pictures because I'm really interested in buying this kind of car.

1990 Opel Kadett S 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Cheap to run, fun to drive - 4 gears is a laugh

My father gave me the car a few months ago but I only just got insured a month ago. The car is ten years old and has never broken down. The only problem ever encountered has been a flat tyre.

General Comments:

I love this car. It's great fun to drive. The 4-speed gearbox is great fun to use. Powersteering would be great, though. It's a very fast and nippy car for a 1.2. It feels solid, it has brilliant fuel economy and it's cheap to insure. The boot is huge for a 3 door hatchback. Always starts, even on cold wet mornings. The manual choke was a pain at first but I am used to it now.

Review Date: 29th April, 2000