1996 Opel Kadett Review

1996 Opel Kadett 160is 1.6 from South Africa

Model year1996
Year of manufacture1996
Previous carVolkswagen GTI

Summary:

Good, fuss free motoring

I had to replace a rather tired coolant pipe connecting the radiator to the engine block.

Changed the thermostat as the engine never reached normal operating temperature.

General Comments:

Treated it to an engine oil change and have had many kilometers of trouble free driving.

Great interior ergonomics and comfy seats! I would really like aircon though as it gets hot in the S. A summer.

Lack of power steering only becomes a problem when at parking speeds.

The 1.6 engine is really good for its size-nice low torque peak gives a 0-100kph time of about 10.5 seconds. Very easy to wheel-spin!

Cruises nicely on the highway-140kph at 4000rpm gives good economy.

Handling feels a bit blunt after my GTI 16v-but still good fun to chuck around suburban roads. Just be careful!

Overall a nice car to drive and cheap to maintain-interior holds a lot of stuff and the boot can pack an entire PA system.

Review Date: 5th November, 2004

12th Sep 2008, 12:26

I don't like the car (1996 Kadett). Since I bought mine as a new model, it has spent more time getting worked on than driven. This vehicle has cost me a fortune; I am however still driving my old 1992 Kadett, and all I have to do to that car is put petrol in the tank. The older Kadett is more reliable.

15th Apr 2010, 13:09

1996 160is.

Mine started rusting recently. Bought it 2nd hand maybe 8 years ago.

If you buy this car, make sure it has the black line spoiler on the boot. I would assume that's the faster version.

Very good torque for a 160. Gears stretch, 1st: 60km, 2nd: 101km, 3rd: 142km, 4th: 180km, 5th about 205km (on speedometer). Makes me wanna buy a 200is.

Stayed with a 1997 rsi in a dice before approaching top speed.

Cheap to run, very light on petrol.

Indicator broke, cambelt problems. But the engine is great along with the gearbox.

217k done, and tend to have heavy foot at least once a week.

UNDERRATED. 2010.