1990 Peugeot 405 Reviews - Page 2 of 4

Year of manufacture1990
First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 1.9L 16v Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Santana

Summary:

It was a bar on wheels

It was a station wagon with a 1.8L carburettor engine and an automatic tranny. Did not have lots of power.

General Comments:

It had the traditional VolksWagen handling and it was fun to drive.

Review Date: 25th February, 2003

26th Feb 2003, 04:51

The 405 Mi16 has a 2 l multi-point injection motor (not a carburetor) and quite a lot of power. What are you talking about???

26th Feb 2003, 09:38

I think something was lost in the translation...

I have had 2 & I would never call it slow! There were 2 engines, the 1.9i 16v (160bhp) which was run from 1988-1991 and was an absolute beauty above 4000 rpm (redline at 7500),one of the few "proper" 16v engines.

The other was a 2.0i 16v (155bhp) unit from 1992-1996 complete with the dreaded "cat" that was still fast, but not a patch on the old one for outright fun!

If you ever get a chance to get an mi16 or a Citroen bx16v, grab it... immense fun & how cheap!! :-)

1990 Peugeot 405 mi16 1.9 twin cam 16v from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1990
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.9 twin cam 16v Manual
Previous carHolden Camira

Summary:

High performance, lacking in build quality

* Cooling system leaks, caused breakdown as the small leak turned out to be a cracked elbow joint coming from under the radiator.

* Noisy interior.

* Water pump leak, needs replacing. This small problem actually ended up turning into a complete engine replacement for me) Don't ask!

* Stubborn door hinges.

* Seats have faded.

* Gearstick is very stubborn.

All in all, I could write a laundry list of problems, but the engine is "strong like bull" so in all fairness I won't.

General Comments:

First Impressions:

I fell in love with this car the minute I laid eyes on it, for a 12 year old car it sure looks stylish. It has "touring car" written all over it. Initial gripes with its looks in my opinion are the fog lights & the towing attachment, which protrudes out the front of the car. Interior gripes were that there are only power windows in the front not rear doors.. very tacky.

When I took it for a test drive I didn't really know a lot about it. I was still learning manual at the time so I held back from giving it some stick in-case I made a bad gear change and blew the gearbox. The thing that really stood out to me was the handling and suspension, the car really hugs the road and gives fun handling. After the test drive I was hooked and bought it.

Performance:

I generally thought it was a bit of a slug at first as I didn't rev it over 4000 rpm (It has a red-line of 7500 & I'm told it peaks at 6500).

But wow, didn't that opinion change fast, give this French rocket some juice and it goes faster than snails on a platter. Unless you're willing to rev it to over 5500 Rpm you won't get much power out of it, but once in the high revs the engine really roars. I was traveling at 60 kph, dropped into 3rd gear and put my foot down, & the car reached 150 kph in under 7 seconds. I'd estimate it has a 0-100 kph time of around 8.5 seconds & the highest speed I've had it up to was 210 clicks without pushing it.. I could have got at-least another 20 kph out of it. I wish I could say the car handles all situations with grace, but it has a few drawbacks due to its relatively small engine displacement, e.g. When you've got a full load of passengers it really struggles, or when going flat out up a hill the engine just goes flat and doesn't continue to hit the high notes.. but this could be due to my timing of gear changes so don't quote me on that one. Another thing is when taking off from traffic lights at normal pace you'll find it hard to keep up.. but of course if you rev it a bit they'll find it hard to keep up.

The fuel tank holds 70 liters, I find it's really efficient when you don't drive sporty, but when you do it really drinks.

My Mods:

I had a 2 & 1/4" exhaust system & a high flow air filter fitted. The engine really has a nice sound to it once fitted, I also think it gave it a tad more power.

Review Date: 15th December, 2002

4th Sep 2006, 03:13

Hi.

I definitely agree with the Peugeot 405 MI16.

Beautiful looks for a car that is now 16 years old, really stylish. When it is given the chance it really handles excellently. However, that is when it runs!

I've had the car for a year and a half and in that time I have had heaps of problems. A new radiator, alternator, endless problems with the injection system and recently a useless engine. I'm sorry, I love the car, but it has to go!

DO NOT, but this car if you do not want to replace basically everything. Check every detail!

Cheers.