1978 Plymouth Horizon 1.7 from North America

Summary:

It was a sweet car, although the fake wood was interesting with a red interior

It had problems with the carburetter, and assorted electrical problems. It also had a water leak from the windshield seal.

General Comments:

I really liked this car. I would have kept it even longer, but I was hit by a new Chevy Cavalier. The impact bent my frame and the insurance car totalled it, but let me keep it for a $20 deduction in the settlement. The Cavalier was towed away, and the Horizon became the down payment on my Dodge Lancer (for another $1000).

Review Date: 26th June, 2001

30th Sep 2004, 22:13

Could you tell me about the electrical problem's you had with your Horizon? Mine keap's blowing the turnsignel fuse. Bob.

8th Jan 2005, 17:59

I belong to a Plymouth Car Club and would like to acquire a Plymouth Horizon that is operational. However, it must have been manufactured during or before 1980. I can't seem to find out when the first ones were made.

I don't care if the car has some rust and needs painting and I can always throw a blanket over worn and torn upholstery. I don't have a place to work on the car so can't use one that needs a lot of engine or transmission work or needs brakes and steering components. Can you give me any leads and advice re this car. I live in Columbia, MD. My name is CHIP STEVES phone 410-992-1280. Thanks.

27th Jan 2006, 18:24

Anything older than an '84 or '85 is quite rare. They first came out for the 1978 model year and any from the first 4 years or so are few are far between. Too bad yours was wrecked.

27th Jan 2006, 21:07

So, chip is looking for a 1978-80 Horizon that does not need any mechanical work. hehehe. Horizons of any vintage are not exactly commonplace anymore, considering the last ones were built 16 years ago. Trying to find one of the ones from 1978-80 may be difficult indeed.

16th Jul 2007, 23:47

I have a 1978 Plymouth Horizon... but I'm putting it in the Demolition Derby on Saturday July 21... it was a very nice car, but I bought it for $50 so I decided I might as well have some fun in it!!

22nd Aug 2007, 09:45

I had a 1978 Plymouth Horizon from 1983-1990. I would rather have that car today than any other brand new one. It was a regular snow plow in bad weather. The strange thing about it... I had the undercarriage covered with whatever that stuff is supposed to keep things from corroding, and yet I ended getting a whole in the floor... no doubt from wearing high heeled shoes.

13th Oct 2008, 12:57

Re; Plymouth Horizon. I have a '78 hatchback white interior. The car runs good, paint (orange) is good with 2 scratches. I need the bumper side covers for front and rear. Any info would be appreciated. Bilgeoplum@aol.com

5th Apr 2011, 17:31

I have a 1987 Plymouth Horizon. It only has 25000 on it and it is from a 95 year old woman. I am always looking for others whom own a Horizon as well, or who would know where to get spare parts. Thanks Xtraphatal@aol.com