2009 Renault Megane 3 Luxe 1.9 DCI FAP from Romania

Summary:

A comfortable, sporty and economical car; a huge step forward for Renault!

So far since I've owned the car, everything is working fine. The car is already 9 years old, but still feels rock solid, it surely isn't showing its age, nor the kilometers on it.

General Comments:

This is a perfect example of Renault's evolution. Reliability wise and quality wise as well. The car feels rock solid, it's extremely comfortable and the 1.9 DCI engine pulls the car effortlessly. It's a great combination of comfort and sportivity; it's really well equipped, and everything feels upmarket in it. The seats are half leather half textile, and the leather on the seats still looks brand new.

Compared to my previous car, which was a Megane 2 from 2004 with a 1.6 16V engine, it's a huge step forward. Equipped with 17" alloys, it's a blast to drive, and those 300NM of torque make a difference at an overtake.

All I can say is congrats Renault on making such a great car, and thank you for this wonderful experience. I recommend this car to anyone who wants a refined, comfortable, sporty and quite economical car!

Review Date: 3rd March, 2018

2009 Renault Megane MK3 1.5 DCI 106 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Not too bad for a Renault

Loud noise on cold start, fuel return pipe, whining sound when driving - not solved.

General Comments:

Bought this Megane used with 45000 miles on the clock. After a few days, took it back to the dealer with a fault when cold starting (a loud sound). The dealer needed three weeks to solve this, but now it's good. Still have a whining sound when driving, but the radio is good to cover the sound!!

The car drives very well; it's comfortable and refined. Loads of extras and looks good.

I am a little worried about the reliability side of the car? But until now it has always done its job.

It's a little loud on higher revs, so I change gear at about 2000 revs, which gives me an average of about 57 MPG, which is okay.

It has keyless entry, a start button, automatic lights, wipers, cruise control and loads more, all working (good for a French car). They are great and make life a little easier.

Overall I am happy with the car, and hope it will give me many years of happy driving??

Review Date: 10th April, 2015

2009 Renault Megane 1.6 from Bosnia and Herzegovina

Summary:

Good car with an underpowered engine

Nothing important.

General Comments:

On positive side, it's a very nice car, especially the one I bought. Had hands free opening and starting the car, parking sensors etc etc.

On negative side, for almost 3 years I was not that happy with the car. Something was wrong, and from beginning I suspected its gear box. 6 gears for a 1.6 engine is just too much, and my gas consumption was very bad, especially because I had an Opel Astra 1.6 petrol before, and all I wanted is to have (if nothing else) the same consumption.

Open road consumption was at best 7l/100km. If you like speed, forget about fuel economy. This thing drinks 20L if you go 180 km/h (and that's almost near maximum speed).

In the city, things get even worse. Initially I had over 12L/100km, and after ONE YEAR of learning how to drive this thing, I made it to consume 10 to 11L/100 km. The gear box is the reason if you ask me.

Finally I had very bad accident with the car (total damage). Airbag didn't open, and I had my seat belt on. Renault took the car for a check, and informed me that there is nothing wrong with the airbag. Funny thing is that I was hit from the side and pushed off the road, flew in around a 10 meter hole, and hit with the front of the car into the ground.

It is possible that radiation from Saturn and Mars somehow messed up my airbag, but if you ask me, it's Renault's fault.

Review Date: 12th April, 2012