1993 Rover - Austin Metro L 1.1 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Beautiful little ride, Well done Rover!

Brake pipe on one side has corroded.

Timing belt snapped.

Water pump is broken.

Rear wheel arches are rotten.

General Comments:

The best way to describe the car I would say is that it's a very pleasant little thing. The performance is fantastic for a 1.1, I have driven a lot of cars in my time and this has out-performed some of the bigger 1.5's. The interior I thought was very spacious I am 6'2" and 20 stones in weight I have no problem. The car is a fantastic little runabout and is very cheap to buy usually (mine cost me £50 on a J plate). And is recommended for first time buyers/drivers.

Review Date: 21st September, 2003

1993 Rover - Austin Metro 1.1C 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Super little car

Has required 4 new tyres, an exhaust pipe, a new headlight bulb and a new heater blower resistor. I put a new battery in 'just in case'. Bit of rust on rear wheel arch as with every other Metro.

General Comments:

Bought it after Autocar and Motor called it the Best Small Car in the World. Has been ultra-reliable. Never broken down or not started. Passes MOT first time every time. Has been to Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, but now just goes to work and back. Very comfortable ride. Only does about 40mpg - I had hoped for a bit more. Only been to a garage for new tyres - resistor and all servicing done by myself - probably why it's so reliable!

Review Date: 10th August, 2003

1993 Rover - Austin Metro 100 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

If you have a good one keep it

Well the fuel tank went, then the rear wheel bearings, then the battery and alternator, followed by poor wheel tracking. The back brakes needed new shoes and adjusters 1t 68000 miles. When bought I replaced the exhaust system, but not the catalytic converter. The thermostat blew twice caused by poor fitting.

General Comments:

This is a classic car. Its road holding is excellent and its limitations must be apreciated, its not an e type, but handles well.

Review Date: 16th December, 2002

1993 Rover - Austin Metro 1.1c with mods 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A great first car that is better than the rivals of the same year!

None to date. But there is a flat spot when cold and the choke is put in too early! Nothing should go wrong with such a low mileage car for a long while!

General Comments:

For a 1.1 this car is very nippy and does not hang about. Its faster than the other 1.1's around. Its also gives a great mpg.

My car started life out as a 1.1c, but this being the bottom of the range model ment it did not have things like a Rev counter, clock or fag lighter. But when visiting a local scrap yard for parts for my friends Nova I found the parts listed above in higher spec Models. The clock plugged in fine and the fag lighter and Rev counter also fitted in with no problems, but needed to be wired up, but that was not that hard :-)

The interior was good as standard, but the GTi version is so much better so I fitted that in.

There lots of little bits of class with this car that makes my friend want one over his Nova. The very large door pockets, the rear window wiper washer jet is on the wiper itself so moves over the whole window and the interior does not look too dated like the others.

I have a GTi body kit to fit when I have the time and also some MPi alloys.

The Rover dealer has been very good as I asked if there was any discount on oil and new standard air filter and he knocked 60% off just like that!! Theres no harm in asking.

Review Date: 10th November, 2002

1993 Rover - Austin Metro 1.1S 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fun to drive car with a tendency to dissolve

Fuel gauge stopped working - broken sender unit.

Sump replaced when garage ruined plug threads.

Various (expensive) suspension parts replaced.

Horrendous rust.

General Comments:

Really liked the car when I first bought it.

Nice looking car, looked fetching in red with green tinted glass and interior was very attractive with sporty red seat belts.

K series engine very smooth and quite respectable performance.

Quite nippy, but fuel economy terrible for such a small car - no more than 35mpg on motorway with anything as low as 27mpg in town!! Small tank meant a range of no more than 200 miles.

Good comfort in the front, but absolutely no space in the back.

Eventually started to rust everywhere - especially wheelarches (which fell away in great chunks!!), doors, sills, tailgate - no excuse in this day and age.

Sold the car because it was rusting so badly I was worried it would fail the MOT because of structural rot. Took almost a year to sell the car and I ended up disposing of it through the family (after a degree of bribary).

Shame Rover has no car suitable to use the excellent K series engine now.

Review Date: 10th September, 2002