Poor reliability and not much fun to drive
Many things gone wrong:
- Central locking has failed on 2 doors.
- Electric sunroof has run off the rails and is now useless (but doesn't leak).
- Poor starting and stopping due to the fuel/air mixture being too rich, and every time it is re-tuned it reverts back to its bad self after a while.
- Tracking is easily thrown out.
- 'Taxi' speedo (i.e. bounces around the speed it's trying to indicate, but never hits it.)
- Mechanism of the electric mirror is foo-barred (drivers door, thankfully).
- Clutch cable x 2. One snapped and dropped out the bottom, the replacment's self adjusting mechanism failed and gear selection was impossible (genuine Rover replacement).
- Reliability has generally been poor with the suspension and shocks being particularly bad.
- Radiator replaced at 50K.
This car has seriously heavy steering and parking, it is only slightly less painful than being sat on by an elephant (I'd imagine).
Handling is poor with the suspension being too soft to be any fun, and the engine could never be described as pokey.
Once in the car, the drab interior is actually quite comfortable, but this doesn't excuse the poor quality of the cars underpinnings and switch-gear.
This is not a car I'd recommend, but maybe I've got a "Friday afternoon" car. Or maybe not.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 13th August, 2001