1997 SAAB 9000 CD 2.3L Low Pressure Turbo from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great car, but let down by previous owner's lack of maintenance!

The transmission failed due to lack of maintenance; replaced with a quality used part for 1800AUD.

Replaced radiator, which had cracked. 300 dollars for the part, and I fitted it myself.

I ended up replacing the car, because when I took it into get it serviced, they gave me a list of serious issues, including steering rack issues, which would have cost double to repair what the car was worth.

Saabs are generally reliable cars, but they do need regular servicing, otherwise lots of small things will crop up. Mechanics are hesitant to work on them, because they are fiddly to work on, so it is worth your money to go to a specialist or find a good private mechanic.

People who say Saabs are unreliable cars are wrong. However maintenance can be expensive.

General Comments:

I bought this vehicle because my previous car had fallen apart due to high kms and old age.

This vehicle was purchased for 1000 dollars. When I bought it, I was expecting a cheap car, and considering that it only left me stranded once, I was pretty impressed with it.

I have always liked Saabs, and this was my third one. The low pressure turbo engine wasn't the fastest thing in the world, but it was far from slow. It would easily take on local cars such as Commodores and Falcons off the line. It was also fantastic for overtaking on the highway.

This car was a bit of a boat handling wise, however it had plenty of grip to go nice and quickly through corners.

Saab build quality has always been very good, and this one was no exception. The carpet was soft, and the leather seats were very comfortable.

The road noise was great until you hit 100, then there would be a constant wind buffering noise. I presume the seals on the vehicle had perished, because I had driven an older model and it was quiet as a mouse. It is also a car designed in the mid 80s. For such an old design, it has dated very well.

If you get a good model and have it inspected by a mechanic, and are on top of your maintenance, then you will have a great euro luxury car. The 9000 is much better than the later 95 (General Motors crap). Just be careful of the ones that haven't been looked after when you go buying one.

Review Date: 26th January, 2013

31st Jan 2013, 09:08

Me again. It is also worth mentioning that it was heavyish on fuel around town, but excellent on the freeway, returning between 800-1000kms to a tank if driven carefully.

1997 SAAB 9000 Aero 2.3 HO turbo from North America

Summary:

Simply Awesome!

Head gasket replaced at 142,000 ($800 at a local Saab shop).

Brake pads and rotors ($120).

4 new tires ($360 for all 4).

General Comments:

I LOVE my Aero. This car is by far the best I have ever owned. I initially was not a Saab person until I bought my prior car, a 1996 Saab 9000 CSE, to drive while my Jetta was in the shop. I loved the CSE so much I sold the Jetta.

About a year later, a neighbor who knew how much I loved my CSE, offered to sell me his 1997 9000 Aero. I jumped on the opportunity, and have never looked back.

I have slowly been fixing the car's exterior. Being a 14 year old car that had been used as a commuter for its whole life, it had the usual scratches and paint chips you would expect.

This car's performance is astounding, and its reliability is second to none. I would strongly recommend this car to anyone!

Review Date: 18th July, 2011

1997 SAAB 9000 CSE turbo from North America

Summary:

Road rocket

Temperature gauge sensor failed, replaced myself.

Hard shift between 3-4 in overdrive. Have not fixed it.

General Comments:

I bought this car after owning 5 different Volvo models in the past 10 years. I always wanted a SAAB, and after reading the reviews on this website particularly on this model, I found one I like with relatively low K for a 97 (150000) and purchased it.

Wow what a car. This thing screams when pushed on the highway. Drop the hammer even at 110-120 kmh and this thing passes everything.

Poor gas consumption it is a 4 cylinder turbo - my 5 cylinder Volvo 850 got way better mileage, but it wasn't a turbo like the SAAB.

Pulleys are noisy have not replaced. I found a great Saab mechanic; he said not to worry about it.

Super comfortable, heated seats, TONS of room, feels like it will go forever. I feel like this car is more solid than my other car, an 02 turbo Jetta, which has left me stranded more than twice, yet only has 90 000 k on it.

Highly recommend this car for anyone, take it to a good mechanic first to be sure it's been maintained. Proper oil changes are key to not wrecking your timing chain.

Review Date: 2nd December, 2009