1998 SAAB 9000 Reviews

1998 SAAB 9000 CSE 2.3L turbo from North America

Year of manufacture1998
Engine and transmission 2.3L turbo Manual

Summary:

This car is a realiable, fast, and easy to fix car which was certainly worth my money

The car has had very few problems since I have owned it. I have had to do the regular repairs, but none that had happened earlier than expected. Having kept very good care of this car, I have never been faced with a serious breakdown. Although the interior lights have burned out, this can be expected from a ten year old car. The headlights have had a problem recently with a connector, but I was easily able to fix the problem. The hood latch also broke because one side of the wire was to tight. The clutch is slowly becoming worn and I am going to buy a new transmission soon. With the leather interior, the seats have accumulated some ware marks, but again for a ten year old car it is in very well condition. I have had to replace the muffler at around 100,000 miles. I would advise other owners to check their struts around 100,000 miles, because when I did so, one of my own was shot and it was a lucky coincidence that I caught it when I did.

General Comments:

This car is my first car that I have owned since my sophmore in high school. I couldn't have asked for faster, more realiable car. I bought this car from my dad who had kept very well care of the car and I have continued to do the same. This car has proved itself to accelerate quickly and its response time is phenominal. The outside of the car is a beauty, not rusting over 10 years of winters and summer driving. The hatchback has proved to be very convienient to have for moving around just about anything. I am 6'2 and I fit inside this car with room to SPARE. The heated seats are very comferting in the winter as is the heater. The a.c. has always worked and the windows and sunroof provide easy ventilation. The radio/amp system can fill the wants of almost anyone. I, being in high school. Have wanted more bass, but I discovered the loudness adjustment and I am now satisfied with the balance coming out of my speakers. The C. D player does skip when a substantial pothole is hit, but overall is reliable. I also, in my expiriences were able to test out how fast this car could go. The fastest I have drove this car is at 118mph. I have also had success racing against my friends lexus and a tuned eclipse, winning both of course. This car has sufficient room for a family of four or less but it gets a little tight for five.

Review Date: 31st October, 2008

1998 SAAB 9000 Turbo Anniversary 2.3 petrol turbo from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1998
Engine and transmission 2.3 petrol turbo Manual
Distance when acquired82000 miles
Previous carSAAB 9000

Summary:

Fast and furious with a thirst to match

A hydraulic pipe burst, which took out the clutch. £150 to fix.

A couple of turbo problems, which were:

* Some kind of "pin" fell out (£30)

* Two boost control valves, the second of which was under warranty (£180)

* Alternator belt needed replacing.

Otherwise, just routine tyres and an exhaust midsection.

General Comments:

It drinks like a fish - 18 to 25mpg - it costs £45 to go 250 miles. However, a 2.3 litre with a full turbocharger isn't exactly going to be fuel efficient, and it certainly delivers the goods performance-wise. The Anniversary limited edition has 225bhp.

Sadly, the body parts and servicing are all expensive. £190 for a wing mirror.

The seats are superb, the driver feels more like he's in a plane than a car - excellent dash and lots of buttons.

For £5,000 a year ago, I couldn't have asked for more, but now I've a kid on the way I just can't afford the fuel! Anyone know of any fast diesels?

Review Date: 9th January, 2004

13th Feb 2004, 16:39

Yes, SAAB 9-5 3.0 TID. 176 BHP, 250+ lb/ft of torque and 40+ MPG. I have 2 children and do 20,000 miles / year. Performance is fantastic and has all the usual Saab qualities. Best go for a facelift model (2002 year) if you can afford it.

15th Dec 2010, 18:49

The anniversary had the "E" motor, and as far as I know, none had the "R" motor. Your engine, on that basis, should be economical and underpowered to not blow the auto as most were autos). Check your Vin; I'd be surprised to see it as 234R unless special order or modified. My 96 model 9000 2.3L is extremely economical by comparison with my 9000 2.3L Carlsson. Either you are a gear-screaming lead footer or the car has a problem. Have you looked at that? (LOL!!) Reminds me of the bloke who wrote to Saabscene about being "an Aero killer" having he claimed destroyed 2 of them with conrods through the block. The more people even with highly modified Saabs scratched their heads and asked puzzled questions or were incredulous... the more assertive he became about his prowess and the fallibility of the car. Then it all suddenly seemed to disappear when it became evident he held the car in low gears and peak revving... few cars will tolerate that forever, especially if you keep the foot to the floor changing gears so the motor is running unloaded. Cheers.

15th Dec 2010, 19:27

I may have to be apologetic on my statements about the anniversary and the 234E motor. I had let slide that the 1998 produced Aero were all manuals and all 234R's, Sorry. All other comments still apply (LOL!!)