2004 Seat Toledo TDI Sport 150 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Staggering performance and economy in one tidy package

Still early days yet for me, but nothing so far and I'd like to keep it that way. Should be OK with VAG sourced bits although I've heard stories of problems.

My car is 4 years old and looks fresh and new inside. There are some scratches on some of the plastics, like the door handles, where the previous owner must have been wearing a ring. The body comes with a 12 year warranty, and there are no issues on my body work.

General Comments:

My perspective comes from owning the original Seat Toledo TDI and my mk2 Toledo is the newest, and lowest mileage car I've ever owned by a good 3 years.

I chose the Toledo again as it's cheaper and more discreet than the Leon FR equivalent and I was impressed by the ride, handling and quality of the original. The Sport model comes with stiffer suspension and 16" alloys, which are pleasant enough and give a good, if rather jiggly ride, on rough B-roads.

The Sport model also has supportive seats, with large side bolsters, but they are quite wide and don't hug that much.

The seats are also quite hard and I find that even though the steering wheel and seat move in every way you could ask for, about 30 minutes driving is enough to make my right foot ache on the accelerator. It's as though the pedals are set too high. I'm considering retro fitting cruise control to combat this.

However, the general driving position is very good and all the controls are well laid out.

The boot is cavernous, but you have to post your luggage through the narrow boot which can be awkward. I've had my mountain bike in the back, but it's a bit of a struggle and it's fortunate that the back seats will fold down.

Getting the radio out to fit my own head unit was more of a struggle than it should have been and I needed to buy a facia adapter, for a couple of quid off eBay, to fill in the gaps you get round the sides.

Compared to my old Toledo, which would be noisy at speed, this one is far more relaxed on the motorway and it's easier to exceed the speed limit without realizing.

Now, onto the performance. Quite simply the engine is a belter. I remember reading about the 150bhp Golf TDI having a narrow power band, and how diesel's in general have a restrictive usable rpm range. From my experience this was true with most older Peugeot diesels, but that's another story. The turbo on this is whistling with intent from just above tick-over, and from there it builds with intensity to a whine at about 2000rpm where the torque is huge. Keep your boot in and there is a kick felt at about 2500rpm and the turbo starts to scream and it pulls with un-diminishing vim all the way to 5000rpm. Now that is a larger usable power band than most petrol cars.

There's no real need to change down at any time, unless you really want to take off, and at a 70mph cruise you are doing about 1900rpm, smack in the peak of the torque. As a result, I've managed an average (according to the computer) of 65mpg on a gentle cruise to work. I'm somewhat of a hypermiler, but this is excellent for the performance you also get.

Another boon is the road tax is also cheap. Currently at £120, for 12 months, and moving to just £125 after the next big government rip-off by 2010.

I am considering having it chipped up to about 185bhp, mainly because I'm so curious as to what it would be like. Anyone any experiences?

Review Date: 3rd September, 2008

7th Mar 2009, 09:31

Good review, I also bought a Toledo TDi and waited for the Sport Diesel to become available in my price range.

Agree with the points above, great car, not as obvious (or common!) as a VW or Audi, same running gear for a better price.

I have noticed, however, a lot of smoke when pulling away... not sure if the engine needs flushing out, or if this points to a more serious issue.

Also - have you encountered the famous Seat leaking sills issue?

2004 Seat Toledo 1.8SE 20v 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Nippy good value and nice to look at

Car developed a leak in front drivers foot-well, sorted by the dealers at first attempt.

General Comments:

Much better drive than my old Rover 620 but not as quick, but then again the seat only has an 1800cc engine, Loads of kit Cd changer, cruise control, trip computer, climate control, auto dimming rear view mirror, auto sensing windscreen wipers and a nice set of alloys the list goes on and on. Best of all VW build quality and Seat prices, so far very happy.

Review Date: 2nd January, 2006

2004 Seat Toledo SE 1.9 TDI 130 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Latin style, Spanish flair and German reliability

Nothing apart from a minor annoying dashboard squeak going over bumpy roads - Dealer has promised to sort in warranty.

General Comments:

Superb car - this is my second Toledo TDI and this version (130bhp) is really much more torquey, the 6 speed box is a dream, and its loaded with gadgets. Looks great, and in my opinion is much nicer looking than the model it is being replaced by. The boot is cavernous, another reason for loving this car so much.

Review Date: 27th February, 2005

2004 Seat Toledo from UK and Ireland

Summary:

I haven't had this car for long, but so far I'm really happy with it

The cruise control engages occasionally when I use the turn signal indicator. This might be due to the location of the speed setting button.

The brakes squeal when warm; especially in long, slow-moving queues.

General Comments:

I'm not entirely comfortable with the seats. They are fairly neutral for a short drive, but are fatiguing over any medium length (60-100 miles) distance.

The environment and tuner controls are a little difficult to use.

I am impressed by the pickup of the Toledo. It truly gets up and goes.

I love the huge boot.

Review Date: 15th December, 2004

16th Aug 2005, 03:38

Totally agree with the issue of the brakes. The car is very reliable I have never had any problems with my 1.9 TD 2004.

24th May 2006, 03:22

I am the owner of the first comment. I still did not have any single problem with this car. I love it.

18th Jun 2006, 17:00

I have had my Toledo tdi for nearly three years now, I'm the second owner and the only problem was replacement of reverse light switch.

Great performance, good economy and top build quality.

28th Nov 2006, 03:32

I'm the owner of the review dated 16th Aug 2005, I still didn't have any problems with my car. This is a very reliable car.

2nd Dec 2006, 16:42

You are very lucky indeed, bitter lemon seat leons spring to mind.