2006 Skoda Fabia Reviews - Page 2 of 3

2006 Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP from Sweden

Model year2007
Engine and transmission 1.2 HTP Manual
Previous carSkoda Fabia

Summary:

Couldn't find more bang for the buck!

General Comments:

Excellent car in several aspects.

Exact and smooth gearbox, exact steering, small engine with plenty of torque for city-driving.

Silent, not much "road noise" inside the car.

Beautiful design; looks classic and timeless..

The interior of the car feels a little plastic, but nothing wrong with the quality. Seats are very comfortable.

Cheap to run; sometimes I almost forget about filling up the tank. Service costs are very cheap.

Most bang for the buck in a small car, according to me.

Review Date: 11th July, 2007

2006 Skoda Fabia vRS 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Model year2006
Engine and transmission 1.9 turbo diesel Don't Know
Previous carSubaru Impreza

Summary:

Fun, fast and cheap to run

Only niggle is an odd jerk at around 2,000 rpm on light throttle on the flat, nothing that can be reproduced by the dealer, but something other vRS owners have found.

General Comments:

I still have an Impreza WRX so wasn't looking for the same performance, I was looking to save money and the vRS has been a great mile muncher that keeps up with traffic well and has bags of go.

In the wet I don't really rate it as driving in to standing water has a strange bow wave thrown up from the wheel arches that obscures forward vision. I have changed tyres to Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's and these have substantially increased the traction and wet handling.

The nose is heavy so tends to be a bit more understeery than I am used to, but once used to it isn't that bad. It's not got Impreza handling, but it's not bad.

The light seats don't really keep their looks for long as our kids have rendered them pretty vile looking in no time. If budget wasn't an issue I'd have the leather option.

On balance, this car offers superb performance at a very low price. If only my Impeza had the same low down pull and mid range punch (but the Impreza only performs right when it's not hindered by traffic where the Skoda excels). It's cheap to run, doesn't make me feel like I'm in a poverty spec vehicle and so far, touch wood, has proven to be very reliable.

Review Date: 3rd February, 2007

2006 Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9PD turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Model year2006
Engine and transmission 1.9PD turbo diesel Manual
Previous carSkoda Fabia

Summary:

Fast and frugal, but you get what you pay for

Drop links gone at a 1000 miles. Replaced under warranty.

Revised EGR gasket fitted as the Fabia VRS engine stutters off the production line due to EURO Emissionns 1V resrictions. Better now.

Rattly gearstick. Common fault. Fixed under warranty.

Clonking from front end over rough ground. Test drove 3 VRS and they all did it. Not fixed build or design fault.

Fuel cap, not closing. Common fault. Dealer fixed in 5 minutes.

General Comments:

What should be a great car is now let down by bad assembly or cutbacks in the build materials used. My 053 Fabia was fantastic after 60,000 and 3 years. This 06 build car is a let down and I shall be trying to offload it at the earliest opportunity. Believe anything before 06 is better. Please test drive and if you can live with the faults you will enjoy this car. If like me however you would like a new car to do what it says on the tin, then reconsider before purchase.

Review Date: 6th December, 2006

29th Jun 2008, 15:54

I find the same with my '07 Ltd Edition VRS. These cars are not the great cars that some say, unless you are a young lad coming from a 1.2 Corsa or similar. I have mine as a company car and unfortunately am stuck with it for another two & a half years : (They are a novelty for a few days, then that's it. Wish I'd gone for the 'boring' Vectra estate instead.

26th Nov 2008, 09:56

...You will find GM cars, specifically Vectras, have their own faults also, far more than a vRS.

27th Nov 2008, 16:04

I don't think the above commentator is saying that GM's are fault free, just that they suit him/her better. I've found previous Vauxhalls to be far better built and more reliable than my Skoda, but maybe I've been lucky as I know there's problematic Vauxhalls out there as well.