2008 smart fortwo - city coupe Passion Gas from North America

Summary:

A fun little car and surpringly roomy

Absolutely trouble free so far.

General Comments:

This little car has surprised me. I bought it to tow behind my RV, and have ended up using it for much of my daily driving.

It is quiet, economical and surprisingly roomy inside. My wife loves it, and my teenage son would never give it back to if I let him keep it. It handles well, is peppy to drive and burns very little fuel. Fit and finish is excellent; I have no complaints.

Wish they sold the diesel version in the US.

Review Date: 14th January, 2014

2008 smart fortwo - city coupe Gasoline engine from North America

Summary:

Lots of fun, and useful transportation too

Nothing has gone wrong at all.

General Comments:

I bought this car to tow behind my RV, because it is fairly light. It has come as quite a surprise to discover how well it drives. This is a great piece of engineering, and feels much bigger than it is. My wife keeps taking it, and says she loves it too.

This car is fun, surprisingly roomy inside and quite economical. I wish they sold the diesel version in the US. Mine gets about 42 miles per gallon, which isn't too bad.

By the way, it tows easily behind the RV too, I often forget it is back there!

The gearbox takes a little getting used to, but once you learn to feather the accelerator to shift, it is actually very smooth.

Review Date: 25th May, 2012

2008 smart fortwo - city coupe Passion Cabriolet from North America

Summary:

I love this car, and can't wait for the 4-door

The car kept dying when I drove it off the lot. They discovered the radio was draining the battery. It's fixed, and there are no problems now.

General Comments:

This is a much under-appreciated automobile. I have read that it is slow, clunky to shift and dangerous on the highway. None of this is true. If you know how to work the tiptronic, this car drives incredibly smooth.

I drive this car 30kms to work every day on the highway, and I do it in the passing lane. It's very comfortable doing 120km/h, and can be pushed to 130 if needed. It's a very stable car, especially for the size.

I have the full package with leather heated seats, so comfort is pretty high. Not sure I would do a 6 hour road trip in this vehicle, but day-to-day commuting is perfect, and cheap.

I went from a 3-series Bimmer to this Smart. You have to swallow your ego a bit, but not too many people laugh when you pay $30 to fill up at the pump.

Review Date: 27th May, 2011

2008 smart fortwo - city coupe Passion/Cabriolet from North America

Summary:

Way too much effort to make it enjoyable

I am a car dealer, I purchased the Smart at a dealer auction.

Pros: The vehicle really is terrific on the highway. You would think you were in a much larger vehicle!

Cons: It has an electronic clutch. It calls itself an automatic, but actually is a manual transmission without the clutch pedal. It is fun to drive at first, but after a few hundred miles, it is very bothersome. The car rocks back and forth when it shifts, regardless if you allow it to shift automatically, or if you use the paddle shifters.

If it were not for the transmission, I would have kept the car, but it was just too much of pain to drive on a regular basis. -Jim.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2011

3rd Jan 2011, 17:35

I looked at a new Smart a couple of years ago. It impressed me as a very expensive golf cart.

2008 smart fortwo - city coupe Passion 1.0 petrol from North America

Summary:

A lot of fun to drive, but comes at a cost

Clutch replaced at 15,000 km (Upgraded to 2009 clutch system).

Valve replaced.

Driver door latch replaced.

General Comments:

Although the car has costly maintenance ($200-$300 per service), it is a blast to drive. When I was looking for a new car, the rest bored me.

Acceleration is moderate, but these cars were not built for drag racing. Top speed is limited to 140 kmph, and I've managed to get mine to 145 kmph.

It's a love hate relationship with this car, but overall I am pleased with my decision.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2009